It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dream77 HB User
Metforming as a preventive ?

Hi,
I recently read that metformin can delay the onset of type 2 Diabetes..
Is this true and is this recommended for some who is already at a high risk for developing diabetes coz of a strong family history and previous gestational diabetes ?
My current levels seem fine (under 100 fasting) and postprandial they are close to 120 and 110

My parents think medication should be avoided but a year ago a doctor had mentioned that since I will anyways get diabetic might as well start metformin.

Any comments are welcome ?

Old 09-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User
Re: Metforming as a preventive ?

Yes, it is true that Metformin can reduce your blood sugar levels, and thereby, postpone your date with diabetes. Diabetes is a progressive disease which "multiplies"....high blood sugars tend to invite higher blood sugars as time passes.

You, however, seem in the "grey area" to me, I am not sure how I should answer your question. Your sugar levels are not sufficiently high for me to say that you should or shouldn't. If your doctor recommends it, I think I would be inclined to take his/her advice because he/she has clinical practice experience upon which to draw in the giving of advice to you.

On the positive side, metformin is a generic medicine that is not terribly expensive and is a very-well tested formula in millions of patients over many years of general distribution. It has a relatively low incidence of objectionable side-effects (I have taken it for years and notice none at all) and is a very successful medicine in terms of helping millions of diabetic and prediabetic patients in all the world.

On the negative side, its cost is not zero, and you may indeed find that it has side effects in you. Some people do, although the percentage of them is low.

On YOUR side, you can do quite a bit to pospone your diabetes, either with, or without, metformin. If you reduce your carb intake and monitor your sugar, and get good exercise and sleep.

Last edited by tfkeel; 09-02-2008 at 12:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2008, 07:27 AM   #3
(female)

uma_anne HB User

Hi there. I also had gestational diabetes during a recent preganancy and have a strong family history of Type II. I strongly recommend you get a three hour glucose tolerance test to determine whether or not you have Type II.

I'm not overweight, and after my pregnancy my levels were also generally normal (110ish post prandial) but I believe that's primarily due to my relatively healthy diet. I went to see an endocrinologist who ordered a 3 hours oral glucose tolerance test. Despite having a normal fasting blood sugar and normal A1C, my 2 hour value was elevated and resulted in the diagnosis of Type II.

You're better off catching this early so I strongly urge you to see an endo and get tested.

Also, to answer your question, my doc does have me on metformin to slow down the progression of the disease. I think every doctor has their own philosophy but my doctor is agressive. As you noted, he believes being on metformin now will delay or prevent the need for insulin later on down the road.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
(female)

Laura789 HB UserLaura789 HB User

A recent study has shown that diet and exercise are twice as effective in preventing or delaying diabetes as metformin. Also, if you are overweight, even 10 pounds will make a difference.

Closed Thread