It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
(male)

andyincal99 HB User
Mother diagnosed with type 2 diabetes

My mother has been diagnosed with diabetes and I would like some recommendations on reading material to help her manage her diet and exercise. She is not aware of the basics of nutrition and she needs help on what is ok to eat and the foods to avoid. Also, she needs to learn how to portion control.

When she was diagnosed her doctor (an Aetna doctor) did not send her to a licensed dietician. I need help so that I can help her and ensure she is properly taking take of herself. Can you recommend a few licensed dieticians with emphasis on individuals with diabetes? She lives in the Historic 6th Ward district in Houston, TX, so a dietician located in the inner 610 loop would be best.

My mother is Hispanic and going to be 61 in November. Since she is Hispanic she likes her refried beans, tortillas, etc. I want her to still enjoy those items but live a comfortable life. I live 2,000 miles away from her so this makes it more difficult for me to help her.

Thanks for all your advice.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
(female)

LilliTN HB User
Re: Mother diagnosed with type 2 diabetes

Not that they will taste like what she's used to but most grocery store chains are now carrying low carb tortillas. (like 4 g each). I've yet to find a low carb rice but there may one and she might find a low carb refried bean recipe online. I've learned to eat foods that in the past would have seemed dull and flavorless. I guess you eventually get used to it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
(female)

cappycat23 HB User
Re: Mother diagnosed with type 2 diabetes

The tortillas you can find low carb. Taste a little different, but doable. I have not found a low carb refried beans yet.

Closed Thread