It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
(female)

rose620 HB User
Are There Symptoms If Blood Sugar Is High

I am diabetic. My #'s usually lie in the 160 range. Today though, after eating a bagel I did not feel well. I took my blood and the # was over 300. Would I have symptoms?

Old 09-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Are There Symptoms If Blood Sugar Is High

Yes, some people do have symptoms when their blood sugar is high. They can include nausea and vomiting (especially if you're producing ketones), feeling extremely fatigued, sleepy, thirsty, urinating a lot.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2008, 06:07 AM   #3
(female)

lovemy2girls HB User

also my eyes burn . I can hardly stay awake. I do this everyday so I am really getting to know how it feels to have highs but not the lows.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
(female)

MimiL4L5 HB User

It depends on the person perhaps? When I was first diagnosed I felt fine at 216 mg/dL. Now when above 126 I have a pounding headache, I feel tired, and I have mood swings. I tested my sugars a lot, experimented with foods, and finally got to know my body, how it reacts, etc. When in doubt simply test.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Rose,
I was remiss in my first answer in not addressing the other issue...If your numbers are usually running in the 160's, especially if that's fasting or more than 3 hours after a meal, then you are running way too high. You need to find a way to get those numbers down.

Are you T1 or T2? And are you presently on any medication? How often are you testing, and when during the day are you testing?

Ruth

Old 09-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
(female)

toomuchdetails HB User

My symptoms are feeling of fatique to the point where I can hardly operate. High's are crappy.. and to be honest... there isnt much of a solution but to try having a smaller bagel, if you enjoy them ... or cut it in half at breakfast, and the other half for lunch, check the carbs and adjust your insulin (if you take it) according to the bagel. If I look at the guide for Diabetes, it doesnt recommend a full bagel anyways because is high in carbs. Try adding some goodies to the side, like some fruit salad, I dont know.
I am no expert, but I know how hard it is to work, and do your daily activites with an ongoing high, its a crappy feeling.

Hope this helps. GOOD luck

Old 09-12-2008, 08:21 AM   #7
(female)

MimiL4L5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchdetails View Post
High's are crappy.. and to be honest... there isnt much of a solution

True! I try my best to avoid blood sugar spikes but sometimes it seems my body has a mind of its own and sugars go out of wack whatever I do. I hate diabetes with a passion.

When sugars are high I drink plenty of water, I'll take time for myself and go for a brisk walk, anything to help get my blood glucose down, even if it's just a bit. Going from 252 to 216 might not seem a big enough drop but it sure helps me getting on with things.

Last edited by MimiL4L5; 09-12-2008 at 08:23 AM.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User

I hate this disease. It seems like everything that's good is a sugar or carb. While I realize we can't have much of these, it's hard when you're hungry and you feel like something to eat. Last night I almost gave in to Haagan Daas but being smart I took a sugar free Jello. This problem makes it difficult because I am sure many of us use food as an upper. But now it's all changed.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:28 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looly View Post
I hate this disease. It seems like everything that's good is a sugar or carb. While I realize we can't have much of these, it's hard when you're hungry and you feel like something to eat. Last night I almost gave in to Haagan Daas but being smart I took a sugar free Jello. This problem makes it difficult because I am sure many of us use food as an upper. But now it's all changed.
I shouldn't generalize but I think this is harder for women than men. I think men are more carnivorous so we can indulge in a rib steak. I like sweets but I'll take the rib steak over cheesecake any day.

Now in the 'stupid category', I got home the other was really thirsty, not having drank most of the afternoon. So I grabbed a huge bottle of what I thought was diet 7up and drank 3 quarters of it. Ooops....not diet but regular.

When I realized, I said to myself, I should be setting my all time record for a BS high. We're talking over 100g of carbs. I tested 30 min later, 180, 45 min later , 200 ...how high can we go :-). But I tested another 20 min later and I was back to 140. Half hour later, 100. This was very bizarre. It's like my body decided to behave itself today. But I don't fool myself. It was just today. This stupid thing (diabetes) has a mind of it's own

Last edited by itotito; 09-13-2008 at 05:30 AM.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:10 AM   #10
(female)

MimiL4L5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by itotito View Post
Now in the 'stupid category',
Nooo! It was simply a mistake. I do tons of those! Would you believe that sometimes I am confused between the taste of regular and diet? When eating out, often I was given regular instead of diet and didn't realize it until oops! Feeling blood glucose spiking. Now I tend to order mineral water

There are days when I do all the right things diet and exercise wise and still, blood glucose goes up the curtains. Other days I am low and follow the very same lifestyle. I think we all agree that disease is stupid!

Take good care!

Closed Thread