It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
(female)

donna70 HB Userdonna70 HB User
How many carbs a day???

Hi,
I am new to this diabetic stuff. I just got told last Thursday I have diabetes, no prediabetes or anything, just put on 500 mg of Metformin XR. What I can't seem to find is what would be a good level of carbs for me, if I plan to eat maybe 1200-1400 calories a day. My dr told me to lose 22 lbs and maybe I can get off the meds. I am 153 lbs now, 5 ft, 5 inches. So would someone know what amount of grams of carbs I can have in a day? I am hoping with my walking and cutting back I will be off of the metformin maybe by Christmas. I got some books and am looking stuff up but I can't understand exchanges etc and since the dr doesn't have me testing my blood I can't tell if I am doing alright. My GTT was 226 after 2 hrs and have 3 relatives with diabetes 2. thanks for any input!!
Donna70

Old 09-09-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
(female)

Laura789 HB UserLaura789 HB User
Re: How many carbs a day???

You should have a blood monitor. I don't know why the doctor didn't tell you to get one. My doctor didn't either, so I did it on my own. I asked him to prescribe one and he did. Forget exchanges and just check the number of carbs in each food you eat, either by checking the package or looking it up online. I can usually find out by searching for the food name plus "nutrition". You will get the nutrition label usually seen on the package. Then set an amount of carbs for each meal and check 2 hrs later to see how it affected you. Maybe 25 gm carbs per meal to start. You may be able to eat more. I limit myself to 15-20 per meal and get a 2 hr reading under 110 usually. If you restrict carbs, your weight should drop. Try eating mainly protein, vegetables, green salads and whole grains. A few fruits are okay in a limited amount, but many are high in carbs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User

LauraBow has given you some good advice. Many people find the "critical carbohydrate level" at which they lose weight is about 60 grams daily. Each gram of carbohydrate has 4 calories.

Laura is also correct that you may be able to eat more, and testing your blood sugar is essential if you want to get off meds. My guess is that you can. I expect you will be successful if you get good exercise and sleep and follow the plan LauraBow gave you.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:34 AM   #4
(female)

Hi,
I appreciate both your answers. Sixty grams of carbs sounds so low. I do have a little book that lists the carb count in different foods so I will try to follow it better. About the testing I guess I will have to ask the dr, I am waiting to see what my hemoglobin A1C was. I have RA so I go on and off prednisone a lot and had been on a high dose in July for really bad back pain and am wondering if that didn't tip me over the edge. Thanks for the input, looks like this is the place to get answers and I am glad that I asked. I thought 50 grams at a meal was good!!! thanks again!
Donna70

Old 09-10-2008, 04:53 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Remember to subtract the fibre from the carb count. So if it says 15g carbs but 5g of fibre, then it's like 10g

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna70 View Post
Hi,
I appreciate both your answers. Sixty grams of carbs sounds so low. I do have a little book that lists the carb count in different foods so I will try to follow it better. About the testing I guess I will have to ask the dr, I am waiting to see what my hemoglobin A1C was. I have RA so I go on and off prednisone a lot and had been on a high dose in July for really bad back pain and am wondering if that didn't tip me over the edge. Thanks for the input, looks like this is the place to get answers and I am glad that I asked. I thought 50 grams at a meal was good!!! thanks again!
Donna70

Old 09-10-2008, 05:03 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User

You will find all kinds of recommendations out there, including like your doctor gave you, to consume about 150 grams, which is roughly 50 a meal like you say. That would make 600 of your 1200 calories coming from carbs. Many
"diabetic diets" recommend that you get 40-50 percent of your calories from carbs.

For me, I can maintain sugars and HbA1c in the 6s on this, but have to inject aggressively and I don't lose any weight.

You have to experiment with the diet that makes you feel good, gives you about 3-5 pounds weight loss per month, and keeps your blood sugar under control. It's a tall order, but I believe strongly that you will be quite victorious if you use LauraBow's method. Itotito is correct, too. You can subtract the fiber.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:06 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User

You will find all kinds of recommendations out there, including like your doctor gave you, to consume about 150 grams, which is roughly 50 a meal like you say. That would make 600 of your 1200 calories coming from carbs. Many
"diabetic diets" recommend that you get 40-50 percent of your calories from carbs.

For me, I can maintain sugars and HbA1c in the 6s on this, but have to inject aggressively and I don't lose any weight.

You have to experiment with the diet that makes you feel good, gives you about 3-5 pounds weight loss per month, and keeps your blood sugar under control. It's a tall order, but I believe strongly that you will be quite victorious if you use LauraBow's method. Itotito is correct, too. You can subtract the fiber.

I also believe your doctor is right. 22 pounds will make a HUGE difference in your insulin resistance. If you do this with exercise, muscle burns more calories than fat....so your food intake can probably go back up some when you get to goal weight.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:24 AM   #8
(female)

Laura789 HB UserLaura789 HB User

Donna, you may be able to eat more carbs than what I was suggesting, but it is important to test to see how foods are affecting you. You can also have a snack between meals. I check to see that my blood sugar is low first. I suspect that the prednisone is affecting your glucose levels. The A1c test will give you more information.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #9
(female)

Hi,
I do appreciate all your answers. I am not on prednisone right now but I go off and on constantly. I did not know you can subtract fiber from the carb total so that helps. It is just a lot to absorb since last week. I got my A1C back and that was 5.4 which I presume is good but the microalbumin/g creatinine was abnormal. I had 358 and guess that you are supposed to be under 300 but haven't talked to my dr yet. So thanks again for all the help!
Donna70

Old 09-10-2008, 01:36 PM   #10
(female)

LilliTN HB User

I can't go over 25-30 in a meal without getting a high 2 hr PP. My dietitician gave me the formula for 1200 calories per day and to get in all the carbs "recommended" I have to eat 6 meals a day. I find that so consuming with all I'm doing revolving around what and when to eat next and quite frustrating.

I am pretty sure I don't go much over 60 carbs a day (and yes I am subtracting the fiber grams to get that number). My doctor is continually telling me to eat more carbs but he's not really paying attention to me when I tell him about the 2 hr PPs. He's just relying on a normal fasting (now it is... was prediabetic a few months ago) and my A1C was 5.7 I think.

I bought several books that list carbs, some better than others. A couple of the women's/family magazines list carbs with their recipes. Are we allowed to list book names?

I bought a couple of "diabetic" cook books and am shocked to find that a lot of them still are listing net carb servings 30-60 carbs as appropriate in a meal/snack. As was said previously, you'd have to be on a lot of meds to be able to handle some of them.

What's pretty certain (at least in my case and everyone I know that has followed low carb diets) is that you will lose weight on them.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:30 PM   #11
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

It is also my understanding that Prednisone can actually induce diabetes. Which may be why you did not have pre-diabetes.

Closed Thread