It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
(female)

orbchaser HB User
Question 1200 calories a day?!?!?!?!?!?!

Hi...I was just diagnosed with type 2. The doc told me that along with exercise, that I shouldn't exceed 150g of carbs a day, which isn't the problem. She told me not to exceed 1200 calories a day?! I thought the more u weighed, the more calories u needed in the beginning. I'm only 5'2 and I weigh 240 lbs. Shouldn't I be allowed at least 1500 calories a day?

Old 09-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: 1200 calories a day?!?!?!?!?!?!

1200 calories is certainly a very restricted diet, but here's the thing...with T2, sometimes a weight loss of only 10-20 pounds can actually improve the body's use of insulin. So it's possible that your doctor wants you to get some weight off FAST.

For the long haul, a 1400 calorie a day diet may be much easier to stick with, although you'll lose weight a bit more slowly. The good thing about that, though, is that often the more slowly you lose the weight, the easier it is to keep it off.

You might want to ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietician or nutritionist for help with diet and meal planning and setting both short and long-term goals for weight loss.

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 09-09-2008 at 12:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbchaser View Post
Hi...I was just diagnosed with type 2. The doc told me that along with exercise, that I shouldn't exceed 150g of carbs a day, which isn't the problem. She told me not to exceed 1200 calories a day?! I thought the more u weighed, the more calories u needed in the beginning. I'm only 5'2 and I weigh 240 lbs. Shouldn't I be allowed at least 1500 calories a day?
Just by breathing, digesting....you burn a certain amount of calories. This amount depends on your muscle mass and metabolism. Call this your 'base burn rate'.

On top of that you burn calories by excercisig. If you are walking about 8 miles a day you are burning over 1000 calories doing that. The amount depends a on your weight

So you add your amount from excercising to your base burn rate. What you burn has to be greater than what you take in. The bigger the difference, the faster you lose weight.

BUT If your body is getting too few calories, your 'base burn rate' might actually go down.

You have to find the right amount of calories. You have to increase your muscle mass to increase your burn rate. You have to give your body the right amount of proteins to feed the muscle building to increase your base burn rate.

As suggested, a dietician can help you find the right balance. Some calories are better in preventing fat storage.

If you want to lose a lot in little time, you may have to go very low in calories, but too low can make things less efficient.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:24 AM   #4
(female)

MimiL4L5 HB User

Sorry you've been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. It must be quite overwhelming at the moment. Are you diet and exercise controlled only at the moment or are you on meds too? I too would suggest you see a dietician. It will help you greatly!

Read as much as you can about the disease. Knowledge is power. Do you have a good meter? Get one

I was SO surprised to find out water mellon and grapes could send my blood glucose up the curtains. It's not just about calories in my case. I'm not good at counting calories anyway! And I am rotten at counting carbs too come to think of it!! I failed Math 101 With the help of a dietician I learned how to make my meals lower in fat, lower in sugar, healthier yet satisfying, and I also learned what a serving of this or that should look like in my plate. It works for me.

Because of my stupid back haven't been at the gym lately but can't wait to go back to it. Exercise has made the difference for me.

The very best to you!

Mimi

Last edited by MimiL4L5; 09-10-2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: grammar eek!

Closed Thread