It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2008, 09:02 AM   #1
(female)

Amanda06 HB User
Diabetes II and Anxiety

Hi:
My husband who was dx'ed with mild form of Diabetes II around 2002 and has been on meds. since then. For the past three years or so, his Anxiety started to surface and taking meds., Lexapro 10 mg. and Xanax, as well.

His Diabetec meds. have been truly helping his condition, however his Anxiety is not under control, particularly during hectic or unexpected occurences.

I'd appreciate it if any of you could offer any imputs on this, Diabetes II and Anxiety.

Thanks,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Diabetes II and Anxiety

Amanda,

Is there anything else going on in his life that could cause the anxiety? Is it the diabetes itself...the idea of having a chronic illness, that is...that is causing the anxiety?
While there's documented evidence that having a chronic illness can lead to depression, I'm not sure about the anxiety component. Also, it seems kind of strange for it to start three or so years AFTER he was diagnosed, so I'm not sure if it would be connected to the diabetes.

Also, has he been having any episodes of low blood sugar from the medications? Low blood sugar can cause symptoms that feel very much like panic attacks. And some people get so frightened by the episodes of lows that they do develop anxiety about that. If that's the case with your husband, then the answer is to figure out what's causing the lows so he can avoid them. Perhaps a change in the medication regimen would be in order.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2008, 09:48 AM   #3
(male)

notafan HB User

I know after diabetes my dad has been filled with anxiety - not necessarily about the diabetes itself. He was put on an antidepressant (Elavil) for 10+ years. I believe he takes Resperidal now, but that is not usually the first choice for anxiety as it is very sedating and is used for anti-psychotic purposes - or is a 'put on the brakes med' for depressive disorders, etc.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
(female)

Amanda06 HB User

Thanks for the responses.

Anxiety, mild form, is my husband's life-long issue since his high-school year and particularly his college years, though he made through with good grades.

Diabetic runs in the family, as seeing that his father passed away due to diabetic. Then, it's no suprise he has one.

As to 'sweating' during sleep that interferes his sleep-pattern, yesterday he went his Family Dr. who is very good at all sort of illnesses, he suspected my husband also sufferring from 'over-active thyroid' that causing him to lose a weight and sweating during a sleep that also causing him more anxiety.

His blood test done yesterday, then more acurate dx comes to the light. His dr. told him that thyroid is easily treatable, then we are now 'wait and see' that giving some comfort to his anxiety.

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks,

Closed Thread