It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
(female)

dana78 HB User
Glyburide or insulin injection

Hi, I has gestational diabetes. My after meal number is kinda under control by the meal plan, but my fasting number is always high, around 100. My doc wants to put me on medication. Which one you think is better, the Glyburide or the insulin injection?

Please help. Thanks

Last edited by dana78; 09-15-2008 at 03:04 PM.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Glyburide or insulin injection

Dana,
My own personal opinion is that insulin gives you much more flexibility in terms of what and when you eat than oral meds. Of course...that's if you're on both a long-acting insulin, such as Lantus, plus a rapid-acting, such as humalog or novolog and count carbs before bolusing the rapid-acting insulin.

Gliburide is, I believe, a sulfonyurea, which is a type of medication that forces your pancreas to produce extra insulin. Since people with GD are at a higher risk anyway for T2 diabetes later in life, I would want to do everything possible to preserve pancreatic function. Insulin will do that, whereas the gliburide might cause your pancreas to wear out more quickly and thus hasten the onset of T2.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2008, 05:44 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User

I have used both treatments....and insulin injection is, by far, the one I prefer. I have better control and much more flexible eating - I am on a treatment plan like Ruth describes, a long-acting background insulin and a short-acting insulin analog. Although I practice a "coverage" method in which
I inject based upon a blood-sugar reading prior to the meal. The method which Ruth suggests is the best control and the smoothest one. I don't do it because I most often take my meals in restaurants because of my business and work. I get good control based upon it, too, but my sugar levels are not as smooth.

The only better time in my diabetic life was when I was still able to control with diet and exercise alone. However, this time has now passed for me and my disease has progressed....I can no longer go without meds.

I also agree with Ruth that squeezing the pancreas for more insulin tends to make the pancreas dependent upon the squeezing.

Last edited by tfkeel; 09-16-2008 at 06:02 AM.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User

Insulin is a hormone that is made in your body. A pill is not made in your body. Im surprised the doc is giving you an option. Since many pills have interesting side effects, they are not usually standard for pregancy. I would ask for the mealtime insulin.

Closed Thread