It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
(male)

moparman70440 HB User
Diabetic nerve damage?

Hello all, I have been experiencing widespread nerve damage but the doctors say I am not diabetic. I had "1" glucose tolerance test in the 3 years of pain and it didn't meet the required 200 for "official" diabetes. I have read on the internet though that levels over 140 can cause nerve damage and my test went up to 170. Could I have diabetic nerve damage without actually having diabetes. Thank you

Old 09-16-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Diabetic nerve damage?

Well, I don't know if you're diabetic, pre-diabetic, or not, but it is definitely possible to develop neuropathy without having diabetes. I've known two people who have had fairly severe neuropathy but who are definitely not diabetic.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
(male)

moparman70440 HB User

Thank you so much for your reply. One doctor said it "could be" peripheral neuropathy but there haven't been enough studies done on that and another says it could be neuralgia but none will commit to a diagnosis. They just keep feeding me 4800 mg of Neurontin a day and come back in 6 months. I have been fighting for my disability since March 2006 and still haven't got anything. I worked for 25 years and was always "promised" that some of my tax money was to insure me if I got sick and now they don't want to pay. I get so frustrated. no diagnosis No money. Sorry for the rant. Thank you again.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:59 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

Hi, yes you certainly can get nerve damage at prediabetic levels, i know because that is excactly what happened to me.
At first I had a lot of trouble with uninformed doctors & even one neuro, it wasn't till i seen a neuro that specializes in neuropathy, that sent me for a 3 hour glucose tolerance test and classed me as prediabetic and he said it was the cause of my nerve damage, he was right because it is 5 years later now and i am fine.
You can get rid of prediabetes through diet & exercise and then it will give your nerves a chance to heal, they can regenerate when in the right enviroment.
Please don't believe doctors that don't keep up to date with current neurological findings.

best wishes
Aussie

Last edited by Aussie100; 09-17-2008 at 12:19 AM.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:09 AM   #5
(male)

moparman70440 HB User

Hello, In the 3 years I've been like this I've had 1 glucose tolerance test but it wasn't the 3 hr test. The 1 I did have I had issues with it but they said even with the issues i raised that my AC1 level of 5.9 shows that I am "normal'. My first AC1 test maybe a year earlier was 5.1. I believe my Glucose Tolerance test was Fasting-101 1hr-172 2hr-153. I would have to look it up but I believe that is real close. My issues with the test though was the fact that I had had all my teeth pulled 2 weeks before the test and had not hardly eaten anything of any substance. And taking the test the technician took the bottle of solution, filled a small cup with ice, poured it in the cup and threw away the rest and then didn't even let me finish what she did give to me. How can a scientific test based on a specific amount of solution be accurate without a scientific measure of the solution? I guess I was to slow and she was in a hurry. I told my doctor but he wouldn't retest citing the AC1 test. The research I did caused me to believe I was pre-diabetic and it was dropping rather slowly but the doctor says "normal". Thank you all for your responses. Anything is helpful at this time and is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by moparman70440; 09-17-2008 at 06:12 AM.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Aussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB UserAussie100 HB User

Hi again, i went to 7 gp's, 1 rheumy, & 1 professor of neurology none of them had a clue what was going on, i demanded to be reffered to a neuro that specialized in peripheral neuropathy, after an argument i finally got reffered to a neuro of my choice that i knew was experienced with neuropathy patients.

Given that the tech fool didn't give the correct amount of glucose solution to test you with, the test was really invalid and you should be tested again to get the proper numbers, but even so your numbers with the less amount of glucose solution still showed insulin resistance [prediabetes] could be higher with the correct amount of glucose given.

The increase of the A1C test & the obviuos insulin resistance in the glucose tolerance test, should be making alarm bells go off in your doc's head, but it sounds like nothing will, i would seek another doc who will work with you, not against you like this one is for sure.

best of luck anyway
Aussie

Old 09-19-2008, 03:37 AM   #7
(male)

moparman70440 HB User

Thank you for your reply Aussie. Any test results that I question I am always told they are normal. I know by my research that my numbers are pre-diabetic but he says normal. A kidney function test I questioned he also said was normal. I just don't get it. blood sugar levels at 100 are normal and 200 are diabetic yet it seems they have a right to call anything in between as "normal" also. My kidney test was 77 and I should have scored around 100 or slightly higher. According to the charts Iv'e seen online my score was consistent with the kidney function of a 70 year old male and I'm 44. The doctor says it is not reportable until it hits 60 so it "is normal". I get so aggravated. As far as finding another doctor I have tried. I haven't been able to work for 3 years and have since lost my health insurance. A combination of a state medical card and a pending disability claim and doctors won't even talk to me. I am in a clinic type situation now. Thanks again.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Hi again, i was mucked around by gp's early so i understand your frustration completly, [ most gp's i have come across are clueless when it comes to neurological issues ]...... i am not sure how your health system works in your country but in OZ, if you go to emergency [ ER ] at any public hospital, you are treated free of charge, if it's the same in the US, i would go to a hospital that has a large neuro department, go to the ER department[ during the week when the neuro's are in the hospital ] and really complain about the excruciating nerve pain and tell them exactly what has happened in the prior tests as well, stand your ground, but ask to be reffered to a neuro that deals with neuropathy, hopefully that should get the ball rolling for proper testing.

The main thing now is to get your sugar levels down to as close as normal as you can, i would stay right away from sugary carbs especially, eat a low carb diet & loose any extra weight, a prediabetic can loose that title doing this and also you don't want prediabetes to turn into diabetes 2 which will happen eventually if not addressed..

best of luck
Aussie

Closed Thread