It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
(female)

PamelaG HB User
Need info on Diabetes Please

Hi, I am a 55 yr old female with a family history of diabetes, Father, maternal grandmother, fraternal uncle, Mother a month ago,and just this past Monday I was told I am "pre-diabetic" with a 6.8 fasting glucose. My Dad lost both legs in the last 2 years due to diabetes, and his brother went blind. I want to do whatever I can to help slow, if that's possible, the onset of full diabetes, and hopefully not have similar problems in my future and my Mom's too. I haven't been able to find a diabetic cookbook anywhere, and info that isn't so clinical you have to be a dr to understand is also hard to come by. I am in Ontario, Canada, and desperately want to get started on a routine NOW before it is too late. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance,
PamelaG

Old 09-20-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Need info on Diabetes Please

Hi Pamela,

Yes, it is absolutely possible to slow the progress of Type 2 diabetes, and you are quite right to take it seriously now. Given your family history, you may not be able to prevent it altogether, but you can slow the progression for many, many years, and you can certainly prevent the complications by maintaining tight control by whatever means necessary.

At this point, diet and exercise are your two best friends, and you may want to ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietician for advice on meal planning, portion control, carb-counting, etc. While we can't avoid all carbs, we can control both the quantity and type of carbs we eat. Simple carbohydrates such as sugar (in all its forms, that includes sucrose, fructose, high fructose corn syrup, etc), white flour, white rice and even potatoes cause our blood sugar to go up higher and faster than other types of carbohydrates, such as those in vegetables and whole grains.

And exercise helps by making your body's cells less resistant to the natural insulin that your body produces, so it can work better. Even if you start with just a few simple things such as taking the stairs instead of elevators, parking further from the door in parking lots, etc., it'll help. And try to fit in a daily walk...you can start with just 10 minutes and gradually work up to at least 1/2 hour a day. More is better, but keep it to an amount of time you can stick with on a regular basis, so you won't slack off when life gets busy.

For cookbooks, I suggest you contact the American Diabetes Association. They have many cookbooks for people with diabetes, and I believe all of them include the nutritional information per serving (such as calories, protein, fat, and sodium and carbohydrates).

And feel free to come back on here and ask any questions you may have. There are a lot of knowledeable people on this board and I'm sure they'll all be happy to help out.

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 09-20-2008 at 09:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

cmf1283 HB User
Re: Need info on Diabetes Please

Pamela - I applaud you for being proactive with your health - you're taking the right steps!! I would highly recommend locating a registered dietitian in your area to set up an appointment with. You should be able to find one through your insurance company. <removed> I know it can be very scary and confusing to be in your shoes. An RD can help you understand which foods to choose, assist with menu planning and help you set realistic goals. After just 1 session with a RD you will probably feel much, much less confused and have a very clear idea of how to start. If you have any more questions let me know!

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-24-2008 at 12:31 PM. Reason: removed profession

Closed Thread