It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
(male)

viddywell HB User
Smile Recently Diagnosed - Vision has been restored

Having been recently diagnosed, I have something of a weird case that I can't seem to find any sort of documentation about anywhere else, despite some rigorous googling.

I was diagnosed about a week ago with Type 1 diabetes, came in with close to a 600 sugar level and was put on insulin immediately. I've been taking the insulin as prescribed and staying in the 100 - 110 range since and feeling much better than my 600 former self.

Yesterday evening though, I was greeted with a bit of a surprise. Throughout the day, my eyes had been giving me issues. I was having trouble focusing on things close to me and staying focused on things far away. I've worn contacts all my life for nearsightedness and worried that the diabetes was bringing some new vision problem. Getting home from work the issue got worse and worse until I finally conceded defeat and went to take out my contacts and take a nap.

When I took my contacts out though, I was greeted with a very strange surprise. I could see PERFECTLY. In 15 years of wearing contacts I've never had that happen - and here I am the next morning, vision still perfect with no contacts or otherwise.

So my question is - is this possible? What caused it? Is it a sign that I've potentially been dealing with diabetes all my life and just now having started on insulin am able to see? That the vision was not an issue with my eye itself but a complication of the disease? Waking up and suddenly being able to see is like a minor miracle and is definetely the silver lining to what has otherwise been a bleak week - I'm now just trying to determine why and how this could have happened. Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User
Re: Recently Diagnosed - Vision has been restored

The excess sugar blocks the tiny vessels in your eyes. Since I love theories, I can only imagine the possibilities but your optimologist should be able to better explain. Depending on how old you are, anything is possible. Type I diabetes doesnt usually progress over many years like Type 2.

What if you did have vision issues from a contraction of the vessels. When you cleared out the sugar by using insulin, normal blood flow was restored, the vessels had been stretched from sugar, and now your vision is restored. Now thats a crazy idea... In any event, Im glad you have perfect vision. Enjoy.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:42 AM   #3
(male)

moggy08 HB User
Re: Recently Diagnosed - Vision has been restored

Whilst I have T2, I had way high blood sugar when diagnosed. I went onto medication and blood sugar dropped to normal within a day or two.
On the other hand, I found my eysight changed at the same time as the reduction in sugar. I normally wear specs to correct long eyesight. I was forced to buy some cheap +3 specs to cope.
However, the effect is temporary as it is related to the different rates that sugar is equilibrated in the eyeball. Apparently it takes much longer for the lens to come to equilibrium with the changed sugar content than the rest of the eye.
It took about three weeks, but my eyes returned to their usual focus as my blood sugar remained at its new lowere level.

Closed Thread