It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
(female)

BethAnn61 HB User
newly diagnosed and confused over BG

Hi. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes three weeks ago. I had an A1C of 12%.....yikes. My doctor put me on metformin ER and a 2000 cal diet. He told me I don't need 2000 cals but he figured I need to start very slowly or I'll fail. He has little confidence in me. I am actually following a diet of 1600 cals and having no trouble with it. I'm eating at home now, no more fast foods. My blood sugars remain high but are coming down....very, very slowly. My question is my fasting blood sugar is often higher than my before lunch blood sugar. Does this mean anything? I'm confused as my fasting one is after not eating for eight or more hours? Seems it should be the lowest.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User
Re: newly diagnosed and confused over BG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethAnn61 View Post
Hi. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes three weeks ago. I had an A1C of 12%.....yikes. My doctor put me on metformin ER and a 2000 cal diet. He told me I don't need 2000 cals but he figured I need to start very slowly or I'll fail. He has little confidence in me. I am actually following a diet of 1600 cals and having no trouble with it. I'm eating at home now, no more fast foods. My blood sugars remain high but are coming down....very, very slowly. My question is my fasting blood sugar is often higher than my before lunch blood sugar. Does this mean anything? I'm confused as my fasting one is after not eating for eight or more hours? Seems it should be the lowest.
One of the quirky things about Type 2 is that the liver gets out of wack and produces more sugar in the middle of the night than it needs to. Try a small snack before bed to see if that helps. Ive heard a few slices of apple with peanut butter is a great snack. See if it doesnt trick your liver into producing less. A good carb w/ a fat to slow the absorption of the carb.The metformin should help too.

Please keep your 3 month appt. If your a1c doesn't come down ask them to try a little basal insulin to get you down and get back to what normal is. Then you can try the pills. Insulin is natural to the body and nothing reduces blood sugar better. Getting back to normal numbers or close is important. Plus by using insulin, you give your pancreas a rest. Every day you are above 7% you cause damage and increase the risk of a heart attack, stroke, you name it. You wont realize how bad you felt till you realize how good you feel by getting back to normal numbers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread