HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diabetes (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diabetes/)
-   -   Can metformin cause UTI??? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diabetes/637240-can-metformin-cause-uti.html)

donna70 09-26-2008 12:43 PM

Can metformin cause UTI???

Hi,
New to this and back with some more questions. Thanks again for everyone's input about carb levels. Lost 3 more lbs. Two weeks after I started the metformin started feeling bad, frequent urination and a lot of pressure and feeling like I had a UTI. Can metformin cause this? Someone, a nurse, told me she saw it in the side effects but not in my literature? I actually feel better if I don't take the metformin but know I need to. Have called my dr's office but no answer hours later. Also, I bought a monitor because I want to know if I am doing alright or not and my first 2 hr after meals was 136. I did not take my dose of metformin the day before. Is that so bad? noticed someone said it should be under 120. thanks in advance for any input on this!! My A1C was 5.4 after 12 hr of fasting.
Donna70

almonkey 09-26-2008 07:46 PM

Re: Can metformin cause UTI???

[QUOTE=donna70;3742180]Hi,
New to this and back with some more questions. Thanks again for everyone's input about carb levels. Lost 3 more lbs. Two weeks after I started the metformin started feeling bad, frequent urination and a lot of pressure and feeling like I had a UTI. Can metformin cause this? Someone, a nurse, told me she saw it in the side effects but not in my literature? I actually feel better if I don't take the metformin but know I need to. Have called my dr's office but no answer hours later. Also, I bought a monitor because I want to know if I am doing alright or not and my first 2 hr after meals was 136. I did not take my dose of metformin the day before. Is that so bad? noticed someone said it should be under 120. thanks in advance for any input on this!! My A1C was 5.4 after 12 hr of fasting.
Donna70[/QUOTE]

UTI are caused by an increase in bacteria over good bacteria. While being dehydrated helps bring them on so does many other things! If you suffered from any gastro side effects that could also lead to uti's because of the presence of bacteria, the dehydration effects, etc.

Metfomin helps your body be sensitive to the insulin you make and tells your liver not to produce sugar. It does nothing for food. It is a standard first line therapy for type 2 diabetes. It is very possible that if you keep loosing weight and keep daily exercise in your life, you will lower your numbers even lower and may not require medicine at all.

Your A1C is a 3 month average of your blood sugar both fasting and meals. It has nothing to do with whether you fasted or not right before the test. It is a test that can not be manipulated by eating or not just prior to the test.

donna70 10-01-2008 06:08 AM

Thanks for your reply. I do know the A1C is a long term pic. I was hoping for more responses. I am back taking the Metformin and seem to be okay. thanks for your input. I am still waiting days later for the dr to return my call, very disorganized office. I guess it is hard for me to believe I am diabetic with a A1c of 5.4. I did have 226 on the 2 hr gTT so that is what the dr is basing the diagnosis on. Since I have had uti problems before I am still going to the urologist, just was hoping if anyone heard of UTIs from metformin. thanks again!!!!
Donna70

itotito 10-01-2008 10:05 AM

[QUOTE=donna70;3747339] I guess it is hard for me to believe I am diabetic with a A1c of 5.4. I did have 226 on the 2 hr gTT so that is what the dr is basing the diagnosis on. [/QUOTE]

Some people have really good fasting levels, but very bad post meal levels. When you average the two, it seems OK. I say 'seems'

To make this simple, imagine you having good fasting levels a good part of the night and some of the day.

Let's say 10 hours of the day at 90.
Let's say you have bad post meal levels. Let's say you are at bad levels, 4 hours of the day (post meals), something like 160.
Let's say the other 10 hours are around 110.

That gives an average of 110 overral, which is a 1ac of about 5.2

That 5.2 looks great, but those 4 hours at 160. Those are the bad ones. At these levels, you are damaging your pancreas, slowly, but surely.

An 'average' 1ac with good fasting numbers is a sign of something bad on the post meal numbers. The met may help you with those post meals.

donna70 10-01-2008 02:44 PM

Hi,
I know what you mean, I dont want to have any more trouble. While I was thinking the metformin might be causing my utis, I took a 2 hr post meal without metformin the night before and my bs was 136. My morning fasting bs was 99. I did have some microalbumin too so I am trying to do what is right, walking everyday and watching my food intake. thanks for your info!!
Donna70

infolady60 10-21-2008 12:52 PM

[QUOTE=donna70;3747339]Thanks for your reply. I do know the A1C is a long term pic. I was hoping for more responses. I am back taking the Metformin and seem to be okay. thanks for your input. I am still waiting days later for the dr to return my call, very disorganized office. I guess it is hard for me to believe I am diabetic with a A1c of 5.4. I did have 226 on the 2 hr gTT so that is what the dr is basing the diagnosis on. Since I have had uti problems before I am still going to the urologist, just was hoping if anyone heard of UTIs from metformin. thanks again!!!!
Donna70[/QUOTE]

Hello, I have been taking metformin for 12 years and I have never had a UTI during that time.

TeresaG