It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User
Ok...Big update on GTT/Insulin Level!

Ok....here's my update: (from the thread "I feel like I've lost the battle") I thought I'd start a new one...I had the GTT done (2 hour) and an insulin level. When they drew my 2hr, I did a finger test at the exact same time. I got 153. When I went in this morning my actual lab results showed a 2hr of 105!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My insulin level was 3.1. According to the doctor, there is NO trace of diabetes or pre-diabetes. She said she thinks my meter has been off, resulting in higher sugars, probably stressing me out, which it was. I didn't understand why I was lowering carbs and still seeing highs. She gave me a new meter. She will test my A1C in 6 months. When I asked why my A1C keeps rising she said that it could either be stress...which, yes, I've had. I work in child protection (HIGHLY stessful job), I am a single mom and I was very concerned about these supposed high sugars, or that my body is not getting enough carbs and that it was pulling glucose from the liver or the muscles (I've had constant muscle spasms for almost 2 yrs now with no indication of neuromuscular disease of any sort.) Which would also explain the weight loss. She advised me to kick up the carbs and test again with the new meter and an A1C in 6 mos. I mentioned the LADA but she didn't seem like she thought that was the case. I have been struggling with sugar problems for at least 9 yrs. I had a fasting on labwork 9 yrs ago of 113. My fasting is now 85. So, I wouldn't think it would take this long. Can you offer some opinions? Is this too good to be true or does it sound right?????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2008, 04:01 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User
Re: Ok...Big update on GTT/Insulin Level!

First of all congratulations. That is amazing news. The OGTT and insulin levels do not lie.

Second, the high 1ac due to stress is possible. I cannot say this enough. Stress has incredible effects on our blood sugars.

Testing now and then will re-assure you. Every so often I would try a high carb thing like a bagel. I think if you see good numbers yourself a few times, you will feel much better and sure.

Again, that is great news

Last edited by itotito; 09-27-2008 at 04:06 AM.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:48 AM   #3
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

Thanks!!! I am absolutely elated. Beleive me though, I will continue with the healthy lifestyle as I do not want it to come back. I'm not totally off the hook. Is it possible for a meter to be running that much different???? If so, why?

Old 09-27-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbit1973 View Post
Thanks!!! I am absolutely elated. Beleive me though, I will continue with the healthy lifestyle as I do not want it to come back. I'm not totally off the hook. Is it possible for a meter to be running that much different???? If so, why?
Well, you have a new meter and you probably still have the old, compare them.

The test they do taking blood from your arm is different. One is venous, the other capillary blood. There is a difference. There is something else about plasma or whole blood. Meters are calibrated different. There is also a delay between in the blood in your veins and the capillaries of your finger. When levels are going down, the finger will be higher. That's why they say no to measure on your forearm is your levels are going up or down quickly. I have a link to a site in Europe, but I can't post it.

My accucheck is bang on whatever the test results come back with.

If I were you, I'd relax, eat a bit more carbs and a bit more fat, put on some weight and stay away from the meter a bit. You know your body is not in a state of mess. The old pancreas is pumping out insulin. Then in a few months, measure a few times. I don't know about you but just the measuring thing stressed me.

One thing I did once was measure, but not look at the result. I woud note when, what I ate, measure, but not look at the result. I would do this 20 or so times, then, a week or two later, look back at the results (my meter stored them by date and time). This way the odd bad result would not freak me out. I got used to getting the odd bad result, now when I do, I don't freak out.

You are going to come back and visit us now and then aren't you ? :-)

Old 09-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

I will totally still stay on here!!! You guys are all the greatest! Need to keep tabs on you! I did have another question. There were a few times that I thought the old meter was reading wrong and I would call the company and they would send me control solution (high and low) and every time that I tested it, it would read fine. How is it possible, if it was within the control range, that it was reading so off for me? And yes, I did the proper hand washing/drying prior to testing. I don't understand that.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Hi Lilbit,
First of all, congratulations. With those numbers and insulin levels on the GTT, it sounds that, at the very least, you've eliminated T1 or T1.5, and even if you are on the verge of T2, it sounds as if it's under as good control as possible.

To answer your question about the control solution, you'll notice that usually there is a range of about 30 points within which it's considered accurate. Well, with a 30-point range, if your meter is testing high, you could get a result of 130 when you're actually at 100, or a result of 150 when you're actually at 120.

Do you have a list of your A1c's and dates? If the numbers are going up only slightly, and you're well under 6.0, then I wouldn't worry about this at all right now. Just know that you are doing everything possible right now to prevent T2, and that's all you can do. And, as Itotito pointed out, for some people stress can make a difference in blood sugar levels, so if you can't eliminate the stress from your job, at least eliminate the stress from testing so much!

Ruth

Old 09-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #7
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

Thank you Ruth, and Ito. I can't tell you what a weight off this is. This alone may bring my stress level down somewhat. Not much I can do about work though. My concern is this last A1C that was 5.9, with my having cut carbs even lower than before (with a lower A1C result) and it being higher than the last. Approximately 18 mos ago it was 5.3, 6 mos ago 5.6, this time 5.9. The doctor seems to think it's possible that my body went into "starvation mode" and was pulling sugar from the liver and muscles, which she said would result in higher A1C's. She wants me to up my carbs again and check my A1C again in 6 months. As far as the meter: Well, I was 105 via vein draw and at the exact same time was 153 on the meter. That is a big difference to me! I don't know as if I will even bother testing before the next A1C and just wait and see what it reads.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:40 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Thank you Ruth, and Ito. I can't tell you what a weight off this is. This alone may bring my stress level down somewhat. Not much I can do about work though. My concern is this last A1C that was 5.9, with my having cut carbs even lower than before (with a lower A1C result) and it being higher than the last. Approximately 18 mos ago it was 5.3, 6 mos ago 5.6, this time 5.9. The doctor seems to think it's possible that my body went into "starvation mode" and was pulling sugar from the liver and muscles, which she said would result in higher A1C's. She wants me to up my carbs again and check my A1C again in 6 months. As far as the meter: Well, I was 105 via vein draw and at the exact same time was 153 on the meter. That is a big difference to me! I don't know as if I will even bother testing before the next A1C and just wait and see what it reads.
Did you try measuring your levels with the new meter and the old at the same time to compare the difference ?

Did you ever notice a time of day where you could take carbs more than another ?

Old 09-30-2008, 08:34 PM   #9
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

I haven't tried the new meter yet. I don't want to stress myself out with that just yet. Yes, I can tolerate carbs more in the morning. I can eat breakfast containing 40 gm carb and be at 98 2hrs after. That is not the case at lunch and dinner though. Why? Do you think that's the only reason I passed the GTT???

Old 10-01-2008, 03:32 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
I haven't tried the new meter yet. I don't want to stress myself out with that just yet. Yes, I can tolerate carbs more in the morning. I can eat breakfast containing 40 gm carb and be at 98 2hrs after. That is not the case at lunch and dinner though. Why? Do you think that's the only reason I passed the GTT???
The reason I was asking about your daily cycle was to see if it matches your stress hormones that are usually high in the morning and low at 4PM.
Your cycle is the exact opposite of mine. I am lowest at 4PM, high in the morning. Although these days, for some bizarre reason my numbers are amazing. If only they could stay that way.

It's probably a good thing to stay away from the meter for a while.

Closed Thread