It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
(female)

julie362 HB User
Smile just diagnosed as pre diabetic

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I was told just over a week ago that I'm pre diabetic. My glucose was 123. I weighed 166. I'm 5'6". My doctor is sending me to a diabetic class Oct.9th. I, of course, hit the internet and probably know more now than I'll learn in the class. I don't have to test my glucose levels, just dump 16 or so pounds and eat a lowfat/lowcarb diet. I used to have a couple of cocktails at night before dinner. Seven weeks ago I broke my heel in a fall. Six of the ugly pounds came on while disabled. I have lost 6 pounds in 8 days. I gave up my nightly cocktails and started the diet. He's going to retest me in 6 months in hopes I drop back to normal. So until that happens, I'd like to communicate with people who share my dietary concerns, weight, etc. I have MS, but it has been in remission for several years. I just hate the thought of tackling another dibilitating disease. Do I sound like a whiner? YES. Anyway, I'd love to chat with you all and hope you respond to my first post. Julie

Old 09-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User
Re: just diagnosed as pre diabetic

Well, the good news is that diabetes is not a debilitating disease until some of the bad stuff shows up years later, and the good news is that the bad stuff can be delayed and possibly prevented from ever happening to you.

That low-fat, low-carb diet is the way to go. Get good exercise and sleep, and I am going to disagree with your doc on one thing. I think you should monitor your sugar. At least, a couple times a week when arising in the morning.

And, welcome to the forum. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here who can help you greatly, and are loving and kind people to boot....

Last edited by tfkeel; 09-29-2008 at 04:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User

I agree but if you continue to check your blood sugar dont always only check 1st thing in the morning. Once in a while check 2 hrs after a meal. Many times the 1st phase insulin response to food is the first thing that goes. You will see it in 2 hr after meal checks...ppgs.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
(female)

julie362 HB User

Thanks for your advice. I don't know how to test my sugar. I guess that's one of the things they'll cover in the class. Today is my birthday and I'm bailing out and having a drink and Mexican food to celebrate, then back in the harness tomorrowl. I appreciate your input. Julie

Closed Thread