It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 06:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dream77 HB User
HI.. in prep to talk to my doc

Hi,
I've been told to maintain a record of a week's blood sugars.

I find my fasting used to be 90-91 a few months ago and now it is consistencly 96-98.

My post prandial (atleast lunch is between 110-135) and PP for dinner in the past has always been higher than that for lunch. It is 130 quite often even with small meals like a small vegetarian burger.

I think she will recommend metformin..
What are the ups and downs of having metformin ?
I read that all this medication affects the liver etc.

I am 31 and perfectly weighted (5' 3" and 119 lb). My cholesterol etc is perfect infact a little too good.
I did plan to have another child if my health would allow it..

What are the risks of metformin ? What are the things I should discuss with the doc when I see her next week ?
Thank you

Old 09-30-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User
Re: HI.. in prep to talk to my doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream77 View Post
Hi,
I've been told to maintain a record of a week's blood sugars.

I find my fasting used to be 90-91 a few months ago and now it is consistencly 96-98.

My post prandial (atleast lunch is between 110-135) and PP for dinner in the past has always been higher than that for lunch. It is 130 quite often even with small meals like a small vegetarian burger.

I think she will recommend metformin..
What are the ups and downs of having metformin ?
I read that all this medication affects the liver etc.

I am 31 and perfectly weighted (5' 3" and 119 lb). My cholesterol etc is perfect infact a little too good.
I did plan to have another child if my health would allow it..

What are the risks of metformin ? What are the things I should discuss with the doc when I see her next week ?
Thank you
Those numbers are not that bad.

What makes you think she will recommend metformin ? Some doctors prescribe met aggressively, others do only when control is not good. They often measure control by your 1ac. For example there are European standards that say if your 1ac is about 6, then prescribe meds, otherwise try diet and excercise.

When you say a veggie burger, is that with the bun and other carbs ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2008, 08:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dream77 HB User

Yes.. I know those numbers are not so bad but in the past more than one doc has wanted to prescribe metformin.

The small burger had a soy patti with lettuce + tomato and white bread bun (I think that comes within the 3-4 carb units) And even after walking 25 min after lunch.. so that makes me think she will prescribe it.

Thanks so much for the reply.

Last edited by dream77; 09-30-2008 at 08:39 AM.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

With those numbers, I'd be surprised if you were started on metformin yet. Although your morning numbers are edging towards the level considered to be "pre-diabetic", they are no where near what would be considered diabetic (126+), and your PP's sound perfectly fine.

Did you by any chance have gestational diabetes with your previous pregnancy? If so, that may be why she's treating this a bit more aggressively, especially if you're trying or planning to try to get pregnant again.

Ruth

Old 10-01-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dream77 HB User

Yes I did have GD and am going through MANY multitudes of neuropathi issues right now...
Multiple Sclerosis and Lupus Panel and Rheumatological issues are ruled out.

Euthyroid and an impending diabetes is the ONLY thing right NOW that is an issue.
Ideally I would have planned another baby now but not till all my neurological issue and neuropathies are sorted out and fixed and cause diagnosed.

But I believe Metformin could not be prescribed during pregnancy and I am afraidthat if I do start Metformin.. then planning a second baby will be problematic.

I don't find enough info on Metformin ill effects but I do finmd info that people who are highly predisposed to be diabeteic and have leaning high BS could prevent the onset of a full fledged T2 diabetes.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream77 View Post
I don't find enough info on Metformin ill effects but I do finmd info that people who are highly predisposed to be diabeteic and have leaning high BS could prevent the onset of a full fledged T2 diabetes.
That's interesting. I saw studies that showed it did little as a preventitive measure. But then again, there is always contradicting research.

Your 1ac may provide some insight on why the docs are thinking of met given your reasonable,albeit not low, numbers.

I remember someone telling me his doc said met has less success with lean and borderline diabetics. I know it didn't do anything for me. I had 0 side effects and 0 benefit.

There is a lot of info on giving tummy aches, gas and other gastro annoyances. Some it's mild and passes. Others is more severe. Slow release met and a gradual buildup of doses helps some

There is a publicized risk related to kidneys's lactic acidosis, but apparently it is very rare.

The advantage of Met is that it is cheap and been around for a long time. I never heard of pregnancy issue, but have never listened for them. A really quick search showed a several indications it was safe.

Uma_anne recently started taking it, she may be able to say what she has seen.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Dream,
Well, here's my thoughts, for what they're worth...

If you're planning to get pregnant fairly soon, I would skip the metformin, and go on insulin if necessary once you get pregnant. We know that insulin does not hurt developing fetuses, but I'm not sure about metformin.

The fact that you had GD before definitely puts you at greater risk for developing T2 diabetes, so again, that may be why your doctor is more concerned and, as Itotito pointed out, if your A1c's are higher than expected, that would be another reason to be concerned.

But your course of action should be based on whether or not you're definitely going to try to get pregnant.

Ruth

Closed Thread