It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
(female)

cetiya HB User
my blood sugar has been really high lately

I'm a newly diagnosed diabetic. i take metformin two tablets twice a day. for a while my sugar was around 85-120s. but the past week or so its been around 160s and as high as 220. Ive been taking an extra metformin, but havent been to the doc yet. my diet hasnt really changed, and its high even after I havent eaten for 12 hours. i have been eating a grilled cheese sandwich every day for a week or so, would that be a reason? should I go see my doc? thanks for any advice!

Old 09-30-2008, 10:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: my blood sugar has been really high lately

Cetiya,
First of all, when are you testing your blood sugar levels? You mentioned 85-120s and then 160s-220, but without knowing when those tests were taken, it's hard to judge what's going on. For example, if all those tests are am fastings, it would indicate one thing, while if many of them are after meals or random throughout the day, it might indicate something else.

Also, you say you are "newly" diagnosed...when, exactly, were you diagnosed? And, are you much overweight or closer to normal weight for your height? And how old are you? Do you know what tests your diagnosis was based on?

Without knowing some of this information, it's very hard to guess what's going on.

As far as grilled cheese goes, anything that is a significant amount of carbs (as in two slices of bread) along with high-fat (cheese), wouldn't necessarily make your blood sugar levels go higher than, say, a sandwich with meat filling, but the fat delays the absorption of the carbs, so you'd go high much later than usual. It's possible that a grilled cheese sandwich eaten at lunch would make your blood sugars high right before dinner, while a sandwich with lean meat would elevate your blood sugars for only 1-3 hours and they'd be back to normal by dinnertime.

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 09-30-2008 at 10:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2008, 12:51 AM   #3
(female)

cetiya HB User

I work night shift so my hours are crazy. i check my sugar twice a day, at 4 am, and 4 pm. 4 pm is when I wake up and havent eaten since 4 am. I am overweight.
I dont know how long I've had diabetes. I was diagnosed in april with diabetic ketoacidosis and was on an insulin drip. i thought then it was because of the prednisone i was on, very high doses. but my sugar didnt go down when the prednisone left my system.
I've been eating a grilled cheese sandwich when i get home from work, around 4 am and then again at 4 pm. these are the same times I take my metformin. maybe I'll go cold turkey on the sandwiches and see if it makes a difference.
I've been meaning to exercise but am so lazy!! i'm always tired on this shift. if things dont improve in a week, I'll call the doc. thanks for any ideas you have!

Old 10-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

tupacshakur HB User

I would stay away form the grilled cheese sandwich, loaded with carbs and fat unfortunately. How long have you been on Metformin? Probably too premature to tell if you are not responding.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
(female)

cetiya HB User

my last couple of checks have been much better, 135, and 105. guess it was the sandwiches! bummer. I've been on metformin since april and it has worked pretty good up till now. guess I'll have to watch what I eat more carefully!

Old 06-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
(female)

sandi2932 HB User

I found that I cannot eat anything with carbs after dinner. Even eating a few peanuts seems to make my sugar high in the morning. Since I stopped the snacking, my sugar has been back down again.

Closed Thread