It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
I need more ideas for protein to eat

I have reactive hypoglycemia and my nutrionist said to eat every 2-3 hours and make sure I have at least 7g of protein with each meal. Here are a few obstacles I have though. I'm lactose intolerant, so I can't eat dairy or whey protein (I've tried the lactaid pills and they don't work well). Cheese doesn't bother me as much, but milk, yogurt, ice cream and cottage cheese do a number on my stomach. Second problem is I'm hypothyroid with Hashimoto's, so I need to avoid soy.

I mainly need ideas for portable snacks I can put in my purse or eat at work. I panic if I don't have food with me at all times. Right now I'm down to almonds, hard boiled eggs and string cheese. I've also been drinking the Boost Glucose control drinks. I'm also trying to avoid peanuts and peanut butter because they're also bad for the thyroid and I feel bad after eating them. I'm on a budget too, so I can't really afford the more expensive nut butters.

Last edited by tigger67; 10-04-2008 at 09:54 AM.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #2
(female)

Laura789 HB UserLaura789 HB User
Re: I need more ideas for protein to eat

Beef jerky or the packaged sausages. Beans have a lot of protein as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
(female)

lilbit1973 HB User

How about pre-packaged cheese and crackers?

Old 10-04-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

I don't eat beef, but I do like beans. How would I make those portable? Dried?

I'm trying to stay away from prepackaged food (high sodium isn't good for thyroid), but I do like cheese and crackers, so maybe I'll package my own in ziplocks.

I just came from the store and got stuff to make my own low carb, high protein granola mix. Also noticed that the whole grain goldfish crackers have 4g of protein, so I got a package of those.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
(female)

OHIOGrandma HB User

tigger67,

would you mind sharing your homemade high protein, low carb granola mix? Thank you!

Old 10-04-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
(female)

julie362 HB User

When you say portable, how so? To take to work, travel, just how portable do you mean? I, too, love beans and cook them all the time. Last weekend I cooked dried Great Northern beans 1#, Black Beans 1#, Pinto Beans 1#, and 1# of Lentils. I packaged them all in baggies and froze them for future use. Each bag contains about 2 cups, which is what a can comes to. I can now make any number of dishes with leftover turkey, chicken, veggies, tofu. You'd need a place to heat them, I guess. Toting them in a small thermos bag is the easy part. I have those plastic things you freeze, then I put one on the bottom and take my sandwhiches, fruit, etc. along with me when I golf. Julie

Old 10-04-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

The granola wasn't really homemade, I just bought some packaged granola from Whole Foods that had dried cranberries and walnuts and then added my own almonds for extra protein. I found the granola from Whole Foods has less preservatives and additives.

As far as portable, I mean anything that doesn't need cooking, heating or refrigeration. I need snacks I can put in my purse or keep in the car for when I'm running errands or just out someplace and suddenly feel a drop in bloodsugar. I'm thinking trail mix might be the best thing.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:31 AM   #8
(female)

julie362 HB User

I think what your looking for are the healthy high protein bars. The Zone bars are good as are some of the others. I carry them with me all the time. Julie

Old 10-05-2008, 04:26 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

What kind of protein do those bars have? I can't have any type of soy. I've looked into many types of granola bars, but they all use soy protein.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:33 AM   #10
(female)

julie362 HB User

You got me. Next time I go to Trader Joe's and Costco I'll check them out and let you know. I'm going to both places this week. Too bad about the soy. It's a great source of protein. I love Tofu and some of the burgers and hot dogs. Julie

Closed Thread