It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
(female)

letpetit HB User
Why would i get pre-diabetes when i exercise everyday and am normal weight?

I'm just really upset because i just got my glucose blood test back and it was 111 (slightly elevated) and i guess "pre-diabetes'. this was after a fast and i took the test early morning. I don't understand why I would get this because I'm not overweight AT ALL and i have strong muscles from figure skating every morning of the week. i'm 5"7 and weigh 135 and most of that is muscle. I do like sodas but other than that i don't eat alot of sugar except for the occasional cookie or dessert during the day. i'm a moderate drinker and eat small portions. i also am a non-smoker. the only risk i have is that my grandmother had diabetes but it wasn't until she was 70 and she was always overweight. i also have some distant native american relatives in my family but i'm like 1/32 cherokee so not a huge amount....

how could i be pre-diabetic?

Old 10-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
(female)

waterlily28 HB User
Re: Why would i get pre-diabetes when i exercise everyday and am normal weight?

Hi, I am new here also. I found out I had Type 1 about 6 months ago. When I first heard my life changing news. They put me on pills right away for Type 2. I read that 90% of type 2 are overweight. I am 5'6 was 132 lbs. so that didnt seem right. I pretty much got a oops from them and started insulin shots. But my grandmother also had diabets, she was overweight and took the pills (type 2). So I dont know what the connection is of the different types of diabetes that runs in familys. I think maybe it is just one of those things you can question, why and never really get a REAL answer. Kinda hard not to be angery tho when a person only wants to understand your own health. Books I tell ya.
My advice is to read EVERYTHING you can get you hands on about pre-diabetes. You will be just fine, you sound heathy and active. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2008, 05:35 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

A couple of things.

I don't know about pre-diabetes, but with diabetes, they do require 2 tests to confirm a diagnosis. This is because you could have some kind of infection one day that is temporarily raising your glucose levels. Two years ago I went in and had a fasting level of 126. He also detected a urinary infection. So he called for a second test after the urinary infection had cleared up. At the time he told me he always confirms the diagnosis becuase something else can be the cause.

If it is pre-diabetes and eventaully diabetes, remember that there is a genetic factor and there is nothing you can do about that. Diabetes isn't just a thing for overweight people. Anybody can be pre-disposed to it. Lifestyle often just accelerates or unmasks the predisposition.

Don't sweat it just yet, confirm the diagnosis in a little while. There are many different flavors of the disease, don't assume you have the worst case scenario. You have just been advised to keep on eye on it.

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-09-2008 at 04:39 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 10-08-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
(female)

letpetit HB User

thanks for the info- I do agree with you that i should get it confirmed with more tests and my doctor is going to have another blood test in 3 months but in the meantime i'm gonna meet w/her for a follow up in a few weeks and i might get those over the counter tests to check my blood sugar on a day basis to see where the levels are really are.

i also figure skated before the test for an hour which i do very early in the morning and i hear that it can affect your glucose level as well. i also was taking fo-ti a herb that i read can cause fluctuations with my glucose level so now i'm off that and next time i test i won't exercise before hand...

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-09-2008 at 04:38 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 10-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
(female)

letpetit HB User

thanks waterlily--- i'm sorry that you have it but you have a good attitude. i'm such a worry-wart and already picture myself going blind and losing my legs! awful...but that is me-- i have been researching alot and know quite a bit about it now but in some ways it made me more nervous that i'm gonna get diabetes but all i can do is regulate my diet and take some more tests and try and not freak out about it in the meantime... good luck to you too and hope it goes well---

Closed Thread