It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 10:50 PM   #1
(female)

ZeeJay1212 HB User
Question Diabetes Symptoms for 16 year old?

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any advice. My mum is a little concerned I might be a little pre-diabetic.
I have noticed that I have been drinking A LOT more than I normally do lately. I keep needing to go to the bathroom (all that water right?), and have had some interesting headaches (which I don't normally get). I am always hungry, but that could be me growing, but always feel tired. I have needed to amp up the caffeine to stay awake for school.
I do sometimes have a problem with low blood sugar if I a am exercising and/or if I skip a meal or eat it later than normal. I went to the doctor to have a blood test at 8 am after not eating breakfast. This was a while ago and it came back with normal blood sugar. Though I do often feel very spacey, it comes and goes.
Is there anyway you can tell without going to the doctor? I have had the same doctor for a very long time and always feel like I am a pest whenever I go in. (I also was very sick when I was little, so I don't like going in very much anyway.) I would also feel bad if I was over reacting about this and I was perfectly healthy and wasting her time.
Opinions would be great! Thank you so very much!

The Following User Says Thank You to ZeeJay1212 For This Useful Post:
john price (01-25-2012)
Old 10-09-2008, 08:19 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User
Re: Diabetes Symptoms for 16 year old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1212 View Post
Is there anyway you can tell without going to the doctor?
The only way to know for sure is to measure your sugar levels. The good news is you can buy a meter and do it yourself, the bad news is it costs some money, a 16 year old doesn't always have. I would get mom and dad to pay for it and tell them they can test themselves as well

Don't jump to conclusions. Thirst is a symptom of many possible things. Don't assume the worst and think you are diabetic. If your thirst was diabetes related, it probably would have been picked up in your test last time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread