It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #1
(female)

waterlily28 HB User
help the flu

Hi I am type 1. I found out 6 months ago. I have been doing really well with my blood sugars.
I never really planed out what to do on a sick day. Im pretty sure my family has the flu My bs has been ok, but I have the cold sweats. Feel kinda puky. What do I do if I cant keep any food down and start to have a low? Sip on reg. pop or juice? Soadcrackers? And not use any novolog. I kinda would think this is the right thing to do. Blah...

What do you do on sick days? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User
Re: help the flu

My "sick days" usually make my sugar go high... I wind up shooting more rapid instead of less....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User

YOu can try in force down jello powder in water or regular sugared jello, although you'll need to eat more of it than the powder-water mix. Also keep regular gingerale on tap. If you have glucagon, you can "mini-gluc" for real lows when you can't eat. TO mini gluc, you give yourself mixed glucagon according to your age up to 20. So if you are 15, you give yourself 15 units of glucagon, if you are 40, you only give 20 units otherwise you;ll end up with the side effects of glucagon (puking, headache). If you aren't that low, you can take fewer units of glucagon than your age. It's safe and used by us at diabetes camp for night time lows under 60.

OH as per the novolog, you wouldn't need novolog because you aren't eating (except for any lows, so you wouldn't need insulin anyhow for those!). It's possible you'll experience a low or two from the peaks in your long acting insulin though, so make sure to monitor your blood sugar even if you feel crappy.

Hope you don't get the flu!

Last edited by Wallis86; 10-09-2008 at 08:54 PM.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
(female)

DawnL HB User

Hope your feeling better now. As it was said before, when I get sick my BS goes high so even though your not eating you may have high spikes because of sickness. Stay hydrated and keep checking your BS. If you get to high check your Ketones as well.

You should call your doctor and ask them about a sliding scale for your sick days. This will tell you how much insulin you should take depending on your BS readings.

If you are running low then 7up or gingerale (sugared) should be fine. As long as you continue to check your levels to make sure you dont go to high after.

Last edited by DawnL; 10-10-2008 at 01:23 PM.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #5
(female)

waterlily28 HB User
Thumbs up Re: help the flu

Thanks all, I feel much better today. I had to have 2 night time snacks instead of my normal 1.
I knew I needed to plan ahead on what to do, and I knew the flu or something was going to catch me unprepared. Buzy and pushing myself, thinking, "oh I never get sick".

I am a 30yrs. old, stay at home mom/house wife. Sometimes I feel If Mom goes down so will the rest of house.

Diabetes forces me to slow down and take care of myself. I think sometimes it is both a blessing and a curse.
I have been doing well with all of this, it has been 6 months. Except for what to do about, The Flu. So Now if I ever do get It BAD, I know what to do.
" test dont guess" Thanks a bunch!

Old 10-19-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
(female)

waterlily28 HB User

Ok now I have the darn cold bug. I see where the high numbers are coming in. 285 lastnight, yuck! My throat was really sore, I think it was from the high BS. Red nose and sniffles, body aches. What A drag!!!! I have had diabetes for 6 months and there is allway something new popping up to learn. All I want to do is drink bunches of orange juice, but then I dont feel like sticking myself with the needle. I guess a little dab will do ya!

Closed Thread