It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 05:38 AM   #1
(female)

donna70 HB Userdonna70 HB User
best test for bs, fasting or 2 hr post meal?

Hi,
I am new to diabetes and trying to conserve my testing strips? For the experts, which is the best test the morning fasting one or the one 2 hrs after meals? which would be the most accurate picture of what is going on with your sugar? the strips are so expensive, I don't want to waste them. thanks in advance for any input!!
Donna70

Old 10-10-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User
Re: best test for bs, fasting or 2 hr post meal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna70 View Post
Hi,
I am new to diabetes and trying to conserve my testing strips? For the experts, which is the best test the morning fasting one or the one 2 hrs after meals? which would be the most accurate picture of what is going on with your sugar? the strips are so expensive, I don't want to waste them. thanks in advance for any input!!
Donna70
I won't speak for T1, because I believe they judge how much insulin to inject based on their reading

But if you are T2 and know your body well, and know how it reacts to certain foods, and are relatively consistent, you can test less often.

If you are T2 and don't know your body well, at first you should test often to learn how your body reacts. When you know, you can slow down.

I think the most important thing is to test before and after meals to understand what food does what, and depending on the time of day. Once you see a pattern, you can probably test less. This will allow you to adjust your diet.

These days I do 1 test a day and I alternate, morning, noon and night. If I see something abnormal, I may test a bit more until it gets back to normal. 1 tests consists of before and 2 hour after a meal. I don't test weekends, because I hate worrying for nothing. So I usually use about 10 strips a week.
Often I'll have a salad for lunch. I do write down my levels. I've been as geeky as to chart them.

It also depends on what I am eating for a meal. I know exactly how much a salad will raise my levels, so I don't even bother. Same things for an omelette in the morning.

I have used thousands of test strips to get to the point I can predict, most of the time, what my body will do.

A journal helped a lot to figure out. I would note what I ate, the time of day, the excercise I did......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
(female)

DawnL HB User

Hi,
The best advice I can give is if you have insurance call your heath plan and ask them which glucose monitors they support, they should give you the phone numbers for the companies they work with. Call the companies and most of the time they will work with your doctor and the insurance company to get your supplies covered under your plan. I currently test test 10 times a day and I go through a company that helped me get the meter best for my individual needs.

Good luck

Old 10-11-2008, 04:08 AM   #4
(female)

donna70 HB Userdonna70 HB User

Hi,
I am putting them in a journal so I can show my dr. She did not advise me to get the monitor, I did that myself because I am still adjusting to being a diabetic so I wanted to know how I am doing instead of waiting for three month intervals. I haven't put anything on the insurance yet. But so far I noticed a big discrepancy in numbers from fasting and after meals and even the location. Fingersticks on me are lower than the heel of my hand, so I only got 10 test strips to begin with and have to go and get more. I feel like I am a just over the border type 2 and was hoping to get off the metformin in a couple of months, have a feeling that is not going to happen. I appreciate both of your inputs and they make sense. thanks so much!!
Donna70

Old 10-11-2008, 09:05 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User

I would like to change that "feeling" that it "won't happen".... a "just over the border" type II diabetic can MOST LIKELY get off drugs, maybe not permanently, but you can likely delay your need for them by a few years.

The things that work are carbohydrate reduction, exercise, good sleep, and if overweight, reduce.

Checking your blood sugar regularly, as you have begun, is a very good move.... by using the average of different times of day over a 14-day period or so, you can adjust your food intake and exercise for the result you need.

That journal is your best weapon if you want to declare war on drugs. It is a war that I, for one, believe you can win..... I did, for a long time.

Last edited by tfkeel; 10-11-2008 at 09:07 AM.

Closed Thread