It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
(female)

DawnL HB User
New here

Hi everyone,
I am a 35 yr old female and I have had diabetes type 1 since I was four years old. I am on an insulin pump for 7 years now and I am looking into getting the 24 glucose monitor through medtronics. Does anyone currently have this and what do they like/dislike about it? Thanks for reading...

Old 10-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: New here

Hi Dawn,
I'm also on a pump, but have not used the CGMS. I do know of a two people who have used it, with mixed satisfaction. One said it was very difficult to get it calibrated correctly and didn't like wearing yet another site (in addition to the pump site), but the other person really liked it. The second person was having trouble with hypoglycemic unawareness, so with the CGMS she could tell when she was going low, and it helped her avoid those severe lows.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2008, 11:42 PM   #3
(female)

DawnL HB User

Thanks, I am currently experiencing hypoglymic unawarness also. My drivers licence was just taken away due to an accident (I blacked out and hit a car and a tree) and I am trying to figure out how I can keep it and this was a suggestion by my MD. Me and my son are ok from accident, just scared about the circumstances. I also do not like the idea of another site but dont know what else to do......

Old 10-12-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Wow, Dawn...I'm so glad you and your son weren't hurt.

I had a similar experience...in fact, that's what prompted my doctor to get me on a pump. Prior to that, I was on NPH and Regular, and the NPH was such a problem. Not only did it give me hypo unawareness, but its peak differed from day to day. On the day I passed out while driving, I had taken my NPH a bit late, had cleaned a kitchen floor on hands and knees, and between the delay in taking the NPH and the extra exercise, when the NPH peaked, my bg dropped from 120 to 26 in the space of 30 minutes. Luckily (thank God), I didn't hit anyone or anything, and managed to pull over to the side of the road before passing out.

Since going on humalog via the pump, my hypo awareness has come back, and I now feel it when I get down around 70, so that's why I don't really need a CGMS. For you, however, I would think a CGMS would be invaluable! And I'll bet that, after an initial period of adjustment (both in calibrating the darn thing and getting used to another site), the peace of mind it'd give you will probably be well worth it.

Ruth

Old 10-12-2008, 08:45 PM   #5
(female)

DawnL HB User

Ruth,
Good thing you were able to pull over, how awful for you too. Were you able to eat something or did you have to glucagon inject yourself?

I wish I felt low at 70, sigh. I can get to 30 and still fell ok a lot of the time. Which I know is so dangerous but what can I do......Grrrr.

I really do hope that I can get the insurance to ok the CGMS for me. Like you said it will be worth the sacrifices. As you know we both had to go through the initial yuck phase of the pump.

BTW: What do you do with your pump when your sleeping? LOL

Old 10-14-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

The time I passed out, many people had already called in a "drunk driver" to the police. So they were out looking for me, and found me passed out in my car. Luckily the officer who found me had some previous experience in dealing with diabetics, and he quickly realized I wasn't drunk. He called an ambulance, and when I came back to consciousness, I was already in the ambulance being fed IV glucose. Funny part of this....the two EMTs who were tending to me were drop-dead gorgeous and when I first opened my eyes, all I could think was..."Omigod, I woke up smack in the middle of an episode of Third Watch!" I started giggling, and they thought I was still low and were going to give me more glucose. Luckily, I was fully conscious and aware that I was in an ambulance and not dreaming, so I stopped them...they'd already got me up to the 400's by then. A few minutes later, my SIL arrived (they had called my brother), and the first thing she said to me was..."omigod, those EMTs are gorgeous...are they from "Third Watch?!!"

Another thing that was very lucky for me is that the police did not report me to the DMV. I don't know why, but I was certainly grateful that I didn't have to lose my license. Between that day and the time my hypo awareness came back (approximately 6 months), I tested every 15 minutes when driving...and ALWAYS tested right before getting into the car. Now I still test before driving if I haven't tested for over an hour, but since I can feel the drops so easily, I can treat before it becomes a problem.

Initial yuck phase...good way to describe it! Mine didn't last all that long, maybe 3-4 weeks and yes, it was definitely well worth it...and the IYP with the CGMS will be well worth it for you, too.

I sleep in nightgowns...the long t-shirt kind. I have a clip that I attach to the front, so the pump kind of hangs between my boobs. Since I sleep on my side, or partly side and stomach, I'm not ever really sleeping on the pump. It's comfortable and it moves with me when I toss and turn. Before I started doing that, I used to use the waistband pump holder and place it so the pump was at the small of my back, since I never sleep on my back. I know some people just place the pump beside themselves on the bed, but since I toss and turn a lot, I don't think that would work and, besides that, I have cats...they'd chew right through the tubing if they saw it! This way the tubing is always hidden.

Ruth

Old 10-14-2008, 05:24 PM   #7
(female)

DawnL HB User

I clip it to shorts in the front too, since I dont lay on my stomach. I wish I could lay it by me to or under my pillow but Im afraid I will wrap the tube around my neck or my husband will get caught up in it and pull it out LOL. I just wish I could go back to sleeping without shorts.....hmm maybe your clip on the front will work for me, thanks.

My hearing for my license is this friday, wish me luck!!

Old 10-14-2008, 09:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

What a shame you couldn't have already gotten on the CGMS...that would be such a plus in your favor, but I think that as long as you show them you haven't passed out since your license was suspended and that you now have a good protocol for testing while driving, it should be okay. I wish you best of luck at the hearing...let me know what happens.

Ruth

Closed Thread