It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
(female)

ava77 HB User
kidney function?

hi everyone--

endo called and wants to put me on an ace inhibitor as he said i have persistent microalbuminuria... over the last 1.5 years my random urine creatinine/albumin ratio was 88, 199, 14, 5, 202, 154. the reference range is less than 30.

i am 24 and have had t1 diabetes for 3 years.... usually this test isn't done before 5 years! i am wondering if these results could be due to something other than diabetes. i have good control (all A1cs have been less than 7.5) and am athletic and eat healthy, low blood pressure, low cholesterol, etc. after the result of 199, the endo did a renal ultrasound and found nothing, and after the next 2 results of 14 and 5, he chalked it up to something transient and it wasnt mentioned again until the 2 recent tests. now he is fairly convinced it is due to diabetes... doesn't seem to make sense to me.

thoughts anyone? should i be getting other tests? could it be due to something else autoimmune? i also have hypothyroidism.

thank you!

Old 10-22-2008, 05:54 AM   #2
(female)

donna70 HB Userdonna70 HB User
Re: kidney function?

Hi Ava,
I don't know the answer to your question but you brought up auto immune and being new diagnosed t2 I also have elevated microalbuminuria and auto immune issues, Hashi's and RA. I was wondering for myself and maybe this applies to you that my many years of taking meds for my RA may have done something to my kidney function. It would be a great question to ask the endo. Wish sometimes when they tell you a result they would go more into the why. good luck and take care,
Donna70

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User
Re: kidney function?

Hi Ava,

I am also having the same issues with being diagnosed with Proteinuria about a year ago. I was also sent to see a kidney doctor and had an ultra sound that came back normal. I go to my kidney doctor every three months and have many urine tests. Each time, I am leaking even more protein. At one time I had to stop taking a medication in the NSAID family. My doctor said these meds can cause kidney damage. I stopped that med for over 4 months and still kept leaking protein and the numbers did not come down. So my doctor said that med was not the cause. I also take and ace inhibitor to protect my kidneys. I also have good control over my diabetes as my last A1C was 6.2. I really have a difficult time just sitting back and waiting for something eventually to show why I am having this problem.

My last Random Prot+CreatU was 227.2 but my labs reference interval is 15.0 – 278.0. But the test that keeps coming back abnormal for me is the Total Protein Urine, which is 41.3 and the reference interval is 0.0 - 15.0. I do realize that my test result is not that high but it started off much lower and still increases.

I do wish you the best and hope that all is well with your kidneys.

(¯`'·.¸..(¯`'·.¸ Jeanne ¸.·'´¯)..¸.·'´¯)

on L4,L5,S1 June 2003
Instrumentation = 2 Rods, 6 Screws, 2 Disc Spacers
FBSS-Failed Back Surgery Syndrome

~CERVICAL~
Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD)
Disc Osteophyte Complex
Compression Deformity & Spinal Lithiasis
C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated & Bulging Disc's
C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.
Fusion & Discectomy on Level C5-6 September 2005
Instrumentation = Titanium Plate & Screws
Successful Surgery

Removal of Gallbladder December 2005
Bilateral Chronic L4 versus L5 Radiculopathy
Slap Injury's of Bilateral Shoulders
Hyperlipidemia, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthrosis, Bursitis, Tendonitis,
Tendonosis, Type ll Diabetes, Anemia, Asthma, Acid Reflux, IBS,
Migraine's, Sleep Apnea, Urinary Incontinence, Leukocytosis,
Proteinuria,Polyneuropathy, Restless Leg Syndrome(RLS), Edema of Bilateral Legs & Feet.

Bilateral Carpal Tunnel, Medial Epicondylitis (left golfers elbow)[/B]

Closed Thread