It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 06:54 PM   #1
(female)

waterlily28 HB User
Sugar wont come down.

So I have had this cold now for like 6 days. My numbers have been high. I have been able to bring them down with my novolog. Tonight they wont budge. Do I keep trying with more novolog? And keep testing blood sugar? This is the first time I have had a bad cold in the 6 months I have had type 1diabetes. This is all new to me. Sucks! I did get a antibiotic fron a Doc that I have used before and hasent bother my blood sugar at all. I use 7 lantis in the a.m. and 1:30 novolog. Maybe this cold has kicked the honeymoon out of me. Man, its allways something! ANY help would be great! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
(female)

waterlily28 HB User
Re: Sugar wont come down.

Its finally coming down. But like I said i'm still learning, and its freeky not really knowing what to suspect High/Low and why. I think I need to find a new di@betes Bo@rd tho. No one ever seemes to be home on this one. But thanks for everything!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
(female)

waterlily28 HB User

Type 1 for 6 months now.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
(female)

waterlily28 HB User

Yeah, I am pretty up to snuff with the hole diet/nutritional stuff. I guess some people can develop type I later in life I am 30. I guess it is just one of those things I could question until I was blue in the face and never get a answer.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User

Lily,
Sorry no one has responded to you. It's tough to figure out your insulin requirements to begin with, let alone when you are sick. Your best bet is to check with your endo. In general, you'd need to up your insulin requirements by 1.5x. When you are sick, you tend to develop ketones. Again, don't try this without talking to your endo. Since it's only been 6 months, you are probably in your honeymoon period right now, meaning your pancreas is still producing some insulin, just not enough to sustain your body.

Oh also, I know it seems like you're alone, but the truth is, over half of the new cases of T1 each year are in adults. That's actually why they stopped calling T1 "juvenile-onset".

Diabetes is just a learning process, just make sure to keep asking questions! I'm glad you are feeling better, but please don't ever hesitate to call your endo or diabetes educator (if you have one), that's what they are there for.

P.S. you seem well educated about your diabetes, sorry if I explained things like honeymoon that you already knew, many people don't know about that!
Wallis

Last edited by Wallis86; 10-22-2008 at 11:56 PM.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
(female)

waterlily28 HB User

Wallis86 thanks so much for your reply. I talked to endo today. And I am doing a extra .5 unit novolog per meal.. Told me just not to stack up the correction units. I allmost did lastnight. I found a bo@rd to where there are lost of nice people. Thanks again for being a real helpful human. Love and Peace!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User

I'm glad you spoke to the endo. Yeah, stacking the corrections seems like a good thing to do, but for some reason, it always hits you later all at the same time! What's the deal with that!? I'm glad you've found some good people to talk to. I'm always around to try and give some help too

Closed Thread