It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
(female)

letpetit HB User
how are these blood sugar levels for someone that could be pre-diabetic?

i took a random one after not eating for several hours: 77

then another one which was almost a fasting test since it was in the late morning before i ate anything and it was 81

then i ate something - rye bread/peanut butter/jelly (sugar free) and potato chips. then after 1 hr my level was 137.

then after another 40 mins after that meal it was 118

then i just ate dinner (fish, french fries and asparagus) and 1 hour later it was 89. so i'm confused since it was so much lower than the afternoon meal.

oh and after i had 2 glasses of champagne and a protein bar with 7g of sugar it was 137 again....

i have a followup with my doctor monday for my fasting glucose test taken about a month ago which was 111. i exercised before the test and it's possible i had a taste of soda before it too since i get up very very early to figure skate and i might have forgotten and had a swig of soda so i'm not sure if that test was accurate. (the test was taken after skating at 7:30am) anyway any thoughts on if i could be pre-diabetic? i'm of course giving this info to my dr. monday. she is supposed to test me again in 3 months (fasting glucose test).

Last edited by letpetit; 10-25-2008 at 09:09 PM.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:43 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User
Re: how are these blood sugar levels for someone that could be pre-diabetic?

The readings you have taken do not meet the criteria for diagnosing prediabetes.

It sounds indeed as if the fasting 111 is an anomaly and that
your doctor is correctly not using a single reading as a basis for diagnosis.

And, you are correct that even a small amount of a sugary soda
30 minutes before the fingerstick can cause a rise like this.

Last edited by tfkeel; 10-26-2008 at 05:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2008, 05:41 AM   #3
(female)

AuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB UserAuntNanc HB User

I'm just learning these things myself, as I am recently diagnosed with Type 2. But you have to look at more than just the grams of sugar in your food. You need to look at the total grams of carbohydrates in the meal, as carbohydrates break down into sugars as they digest. Pasta, potato chips, soda, alcohol, etc., are all loaded with carbs. If you're concerned about being prediabetic (a 3month average of 125 is the starting point for a diagnosis of diabetes), then you should aim for no more than 46 carbs per meal. Simple carbs like sugar and processed flours break down very quickly and drop all that sugar into your bloodstream at one time. The french fries you had were loaded with carbs. BUT, you paired them with fish and a good green vegetable. The fiber in the fish and the green vegetables slowed the breakdown of the carbs, so the sugars entered your blood much more slowly... lower readings. Well done! The PBJ and chips you had earlier contained a lot of carbs, as did the champagne. And since you didn't pair either with a vegetable (preferably green), a salad or a meat to slow the breakdown of the carbs, all that sugar dumped into your blood at one time... higher reading.

It's really not that unusual for your readings to hit 137 shortly after a meal that is high in carbs. You didn't say what made you believe you could be pre-diabetic. The readings you mentioned sound pretty normal to me. At any rate, make sure you remember to tell your doctor about the possible cheat prior to the test. He/she may want to have you do it again.

I tested 129 when I was diagnosed and I am controlling it with diet only. As long as I carefully plan my meals, making sure to get the proper balance of vegetables and proteins along with my carbs, I do great. Today I was lazy and didn't make the veggies, and for the first time in weeks, my glucose reading after supper was 140.

If you get a diagnosis of pre-diabetes, or even if you're just concerned that you may be at risk, ask your doctor to set you up with a nutritionist. You can't believe how helpful they are in teaching you about diabetes, what triggers the high readings, what you can eat, how to plan your meals and balance your plate so that your readings don't bounce all around. Just a few I had just three sessions. But they were invaluable. I never could have figured all this out on my own. Most insurances will cover the cost of a few sessions if there is a medical diagnosis that necessitates it. If you can't work that out, visit your bookstore. There are lots of good informational books out there on pre-diabetes and proper meal planning. Some are short and very easy reads.

Good luck with your appointment. Hope you get good news.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:03 AM   #4
(female)

letpetit HB User

thanks for the info auntnancy. the only reason i think i could be pre-diabetic is because of the 111 reading from the fasting glucose test but again it might have been messed up by a number of things. i agree that my readings seem normal so i will take that info to my doctor today and see what she thinks. i have learned alot about carbs and sugar that i never knew before so in any event it's good for me to learn how to eat more healthy since i figure skate everyday and i'm still competing and i've gotten a better stronger body the past few weeks just cutting out sodas and extra sugar/carbs.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:05 AM   #5
(female)

letpetit HB User

thanks tfkeel- i agree it doesn't seem to make sense that i'm pre-diabetic but hopefully i can talk to my dr today and figure out what to do next = all i know is that she was going to have me tested again in 3 months so i'm not sure what she's going to go over today in the meantime but hopefully it will be worth my time/money for the dr visit.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
(female)

letpetit HB User

ok so i had my appt and i will be tested in 3 months again and i told her about the possible soda, etc...with the test. she did make a note of that since it's on my record now that i was possibly tested with elevated blood sugar. will this end up causing me to have problems getting insurance in the future? and i wondering if i do test normal in the next test - will i have to continue testing every 3 months? (not wanting to get shots done that often!)

Old 10-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User

I cannot say about insurance....however, I think good judgement, if the test in 3 months is negative, then you might go for a year before retesting unless there is some change in symptoms which prompts a quicker test.

Closed Thread