It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #1
(male)

AlanPi HB User
Please Help - Do I have Diabetes?

I am 36 but having sleep disorders for a few months now. I am 5'9 and weight 175, but my work requires me to sit in front a computer for extended amounts of time.

On most days when I do not take a sleeping pill, I would wake up in the middle of the night, with urgent thirst and heavy urination.

If I do take Ambien 5mg the sleeping aid, I sleep fine.

I have tested blood sugar levels myself in the middle of the night, and it has been fairly consistent between 80~100 or so, but mostly on the high side of 100.

My Dr. tells me just try to relax, and I try to as much as possible... I don't know what to do, please advise!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User
Re: Please Help - Do I have Diabetes?

Your fasting blood sugar readings being mostly higher than 100 are indicative of diabetes, at least "prediabetes"... the protocol calls for a postprandial (2 hours after meal) reading of 140 or higher. The body mass index calculator on the internet says that a 5' 9", 175 pound man has a body mass index of 25-1/2.... which meets the criteria for "prediabetes" alone (being greater than 24).

I don't have sufficient information to relate the mid-night thirst and urination. It is is not unusual for people to wake up once during the night and urinate. I don't know how much higher than 100 your sugars are, but I don't usually encounter excessive thirst or frequent urination unless I have sugar levels exceeding 150 - 175. At these levels, I wake up twice or three times nightly.

I am assuming your doctor knows the information given, but I am surprised that he/she is not asking for postprandial readings or sending you for a simple glucose-tolerance-test.

Last edited by tfkeel; 10-27-2008 at 02:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #3
(male)

AlanPi HB User

Thank you for the very helpful info! My fasting glucose has been in the 100 range + or - 10, but once it was as low as 60 for some reason.

I actually had a Fasting Glucose test 6 months ago. 1 hour reading was 170 and 2 hour reading arrived at 131, don't know if that is close enough for pre-diabetes. I actually felt particularly well that day, I wonder if that would have affected the results.

I have lost weight but have not been exercising as often or as hard as I should have...

Old 10-28-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User

If this was a glucose-tolerance test, and your "fasting" reading was below 100, then you do not meet the criteria for diagnosis of prediabetes by the test. It requires a fasting level of greater than 100 and a 2-hour level of greater than 140.

The idea in view in the GTT is to take the "feeling good" factor out of the test. This is effective because the basic diagnosis happens upon the 2-hour "delta", the change in level, not the basic level itself. So it is a pretty true and accurate picture of your body's ability to digest and burn glucose in your cells.

This is likely why your doctor does not seem to be sending you forth into anything special, because although you do meet the criterion of a greater-than 24 BMI, your overweight is not at all extreme and are certainly a "borderline" case, if you actually are diabetic at all, you are not in need of
aggressive treatment.

You might find that a reduction of 20 pounds would bring your numbers down below 100. I don't know, hard to say. But I do know that weight and exercise level has a remarkable effect on blood sugar.

Last edited by tfkeel; 10-28-2008 at 09:44 AM.

Closed Thread