It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #1
(female)

nightowl68 HB User
Unhappy Bloodsugar test = 675 (!)

Hi dear all,
I am in deep worry about my stubborn husband. He's been diagnosed with
Type 2 I think in 2003.
To make it quick and short...lately he really doesn't watch what he eats.
He does work hard at work so he says. But no excersice (sp) like walking at all.
today after work he had - oh...i don't even remember...but it was bread related....then I was hungry for chinese SOUP.
But he got Veggie Lo Mein too. Which is basically a bunch of white long noodles with a few shredded veggies in it. He ate half the pint or so.
Well.....
Since I have noticed he hasn't tested his sugar for at least over a year, I insisted that he'll please do it tonight.
I feel it's important. All he did was act ...well..literally like a little boy and refused to test himself.
I was trying to reason with him - but he was screaming at me, and to leave him alone. I promised him if he tested himself tonight, I'll never "bug" him again about testing and how he's supposed to eat.
After the neighbors almost through rotten eggs and tomatoes at our house, and I got the tester ready for him, to just one lil *****...an hour later he finally tested his sugar. All before that he says it's none of my business -
and he will test when HE FEELS LIKE IT. Being all agitatet and telling me to leave him alone and stuff.
Oh my - it's getting long.

About 2-3 hours later after eating...AND being all upset and all...
he revealed to me his results were 675. *eeks*
Of course, like I promised him I wouldn't get into his case.
But he is worrying me to pieces. I love that man....he's 54 and his Mother died
at that age. She had a heart attack and then fell into coma.
He tends to get so worked up easily - doesnt work out...nor test...is moody
and doesn't seem to give a flying flea.

Sorry it's gotten longer than intended..but when is it life threatening.
What number one reaches is a call for 911 ??
I'm diabetic myself...and I still have really no clue how to manage it.
But...is my husband in danger?

Thank you so much for any answers.
*worried sick*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2008, 07:11 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User
Re: Bloodsugar test = 675 (!)

I don't think it is necessary to call 911 unless there are other symptoms such as shortness of breath, chest pain, or radiating pain in the arms....

But let me say something here about chest pain.... it is well-known that diabetics can suffer from "silent ischemia" - the diabetes destroys the nerves which give you angina and take away the warning of an impending heart attack. So, take shortness of breath and any chest pain SERIOUSLY.

High blood sugar is a long-term problem, and rarely causes anything in the short term.

Your husband's always being hungry is, in fact, a SYMPTOM of having high blood sugar. If his sugar were better controlled, he wouldn't suffer with hunger so much.

Having said that, let me also say that a reading of 675 is extraordinarily high, even for a diabetic. Readings in the 300s are a reason to call the doctor.
It is so very unfortunate that your husband does not take his illness seriously. He could add years to his life and life to his years if he would get that sugar under control with some diet, exercise, and proper medical management.

Even though the 675 is postprandial at the peak output time from his meal, it should be a major cause of concern for you and him and should prompt an immediate doctor visit and some treatment.

You say you are diabetic yourself.... this gives me cause for concern, so I will try to help you, too....

Diabetes is managed through diet, exercise, medication, and diagnostic measurements. But the prime "manager" of any disease is knowledge. Let me encourage you to see a doctor for yourself, and to stick around this forum for a while.... ask any questions you like.

The "skinny" on diabetes is this. We measure our blood sugar levels, and adjust our diet, exercise, and medication based upon those measurements. The most effective measurement is a laboratory blood test called Hemoglobin A1c. Diabetics get a blood draw for this HbA1c test periodically. Depending upon the progression of the diabetes in the individual, this may be at long intervals like a year, or much shorter intervals, like 3 months. It is not too useful to do these tests on a less than 6-week interval, because the HbA1c is a measurement of hemoglobin's "collection" of glucose over about a 6-week period preceding the blood draw.

The reward for good management of your diabetes is that you get to spend more years of your life without the destruction of your eyes and your kidneys and your arteries which have devastating effects upon your ability to enjoy your life.

You and your husband would benefit greatly from a joint project between you.... in which you keep him alive for you, and he keeps you alive for him....

Grab him today....and both of you go to a family doctor together....don't take no for an answer....

Old 10-31-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

You might want to sit him down and, using a bit of "tough love", but in a kind way, tell him that you are more than willing to work with him to help him take care of his diabetes, such as helping to plan better meals, making sure he takes a healthy lunch to work, etc., but that you are not going to be willing to take care of him when he goes blind, has his legs amputated and is on dialysis, because that's where he is headed if he doesn't start taking care of himself NOW!

Ruth

Old 11-01-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

celticfan HB User

Let me cut and paste my experience. i'd show it to your husband.

10 yrs ago, i was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. i had very dry finger tips, and recurring yeast infections. when i went to the doctor, i mentioned this to him, he had me tested, and i had diabetes. i was a non compliant diabetic. i ate and drank whatever i wanted. i spent 10 yrs being a non compliant diabetic. my sugars (when i tested them) were always in the 400- 500 range. i took my metformin when i felt like it. i cancelled doctor appts, because i felt great. if i had a 200 blood sugar, i was elated. then came April 2007. i woke up with severe flank pain. i was vomiting, breathing fast, my blood pressure was low, it was horrible. still, i said 'it will go away' when it didnt, after two days, my husband forced me to go to the doctor, who in turn forced me to go to the hospital. still not believing anything was seriously wrong, i went home for a nap. when i got to the hospital, i was admitted immediately with Diabetic Ketoacidosis. my A1C was 14.7. my blood sugar was off the charts. i was in the hospital for 7 days. i had kidney damage, not to mention neuropathy in my hands feet and torso. my potassium was low, and my blood pressure was 80/65. they told me had i waited another day i'd have been dead. it scared me straight. i've got my diabetes in check now, its not easy, but i have better family help. right now we ALL have diabetes, so it makes it easier for me to eat a good meal.
because i waited so long to get my act together, i have severe neuropathy in my feet, legs, especially left thigh, hands and torso. i have numerous health problems now in addition to neuropathy. i know its all because i ignored my body for 10 yrs. I can say i proudly learned a lesson. my A1C was down to 5.9, but it went up a bit to 7.4. after trying different times to taking the medications, the doctor will be starting me on Byetta. I hope this works!

i typed the above earlier in the year. now i've got my sugars under control. my latest A1C was 6.8. i've lost 50 lbs. i NEVER thought i'd get sick since i always felt fine. i ALMOST DIED! even 17 months later it still scares the daylights outta me! ohhh, and because i fooled around with it for so long, i've lost almost ALL the feeling in my feet and fingertips, neuropathy, i have gastroparesis, due in part to Diabetes,i have kidney problems, and my vision is getting worse. it sickens me to know that my 15 yr old daughter has to watch her mom be ill, and my husband has become a caregiver to his wife at age 45. it shouldn't be like this.

Last edited by celticfan; 11-01-2008 at 06:56 PM.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
(female)

SanFranGrrl HB User

I highly recommend you do not focus on your husbands health at all. Become your own agent for your own control of your own diabetes. Chances are very likely in doing so after you show signs a great improvement in your moods, energy and health your husband will start in quiet ways to copy you. My change was instant, as if someone gave me a happy pill ( I LOVE this diet) so it was infectious for my hubby to see that and want some for himself although that bugger has perfect blood sugar levels

But I believe it is still his body to do what he wants with it. Trying to change anyone is a sign of trouble in a person's own ego and will kill a relationship. I married an obese man and I am a former model with diabetes. I have no need for my husband to be anyway he does not want to be. And he has no need to interfere with my body choices... one of the many reason I love him. My marriage vows were "in sickness and in health" and I meant it. I grew up with my father harassing my mother over her diabetes and lack of control of it and all the problems she gave herself.. it was a nightmare to be in that dynamic. And my mother basically passive aggressively killed herself.

My diabetes is under control via my diet and exercise and my husband can't helped but be somewhat influenced by that and he has lost weight and gained muscles all on his own. But I am firm that I would love him regardless. My focus in on my health first.

Last edited by SanFranGrrl; 11-08-2008 at 09:37 AM.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:39 PM   #6
(female)

Frances1952 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranGrrl View Post
I highly recommend you do not focus on your husbands health at all. Become your own agent for your own control of your own diabetes. Chances are very likely in doing so after you show signs a great improvement in your moods, energy and health your husband will start in quiet ways to copy you. My change was instant, as if someone gave me a happy pill ( I LOVE this diet) so it was infectious for my hubby to see that and want some for himself although that bugger has perfect blood sugar levels

But I believe it is still his body to do what he wants with it. Trying to change anyone is a sign of trouble in a person's own ego and will kill a relationship. I married an obese man and I am a former model with diabetes. I have no need for my husband to be anyway he does not want to be. And he has no need to interfere with my body choices... one of the many reason I love him. My marriage vows were "in sickness and in health" and I meant it. I grew up with my father harassing my mother over her diabetes and lack of control of it and all the problems she gave herself.. it was a nightmare to be in that dynamic. And my mother basically passive aggressively killed herself.

My diabetes is under control via my diet and exercise and my husband can't helped but be somewhat influenced by that and he has lost weight and gained muscles all on his own. But I am firm that I would love him regardless. My focus in on my health first.
A person's body may be his own, but it is hard to watch someone you love kill themselves. You are the one left behind. I would do whatever I had to do to get my husband on the right track.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:03 PM   #7
(female)

SanFranGrrl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances1952 View Post
A person's body may be his own, but it is hard to watch someone you love kill themselves. You are the one left behind. I would do whatever I had to do to get my husband on the right track.
I understand... but if she doesn't fix herself first the whole thing is just a heartbreaking battle with her partner that will end up in disaster. Even in emergency training professionals are taught to make sure they are ok before they try to help someone else. She is reporting here that she has diabetes that she too is not treating. My suggestion is that her best chance at getting her husband on track is to set an example, not to battle him. It could work that she set some boundaries like " I am not interested in watching you commit suicide so here is what you need to do to stay in this marriage". Of course that takes some backbone that not everyone has in them to enforce. And if she is being a hypocrite and not treating her own diabetes he could choose to not take her seriously.

Closed Thread