It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
(female)

mrstassin HB User
Angry Help he's eating us out of house and home!!!!

I am a married mother of 5 who 7 months ago took in 22 yr old my half brother. He is type 1 diabetic and requires 4 insulin shots daily, plus metformin and potassium. I found out recently he was kicked out by every family member we have plus a few of his friends due to lack of taking care of himself properly. I also found out he's been hospitalized 7 times due to being found unconscious from lack of taking his meds properly. He doesn't test his glucose levels except once in a blue moon. I'll go in and check up behind him and see what his levels are and either they are 75 or lower or above 600. He does NOT to care what-so-ever! He sleeps all day, stays up all night and contributes nothing. Also the mood swings are awful!!
The last 5 months with him have been a living nightmare. I have spent at least 4000 in groceries alone. Yes you read that right $4000. Granted yes I have a big family but I keep track of where every item of food goes and 75% of it is eaten by him and him alone. I have taken action recently to kick him out handing him a list of homeless shelters. Ultimately my husband told him he could stay because he knew I was and would worry non stop due to his health.
Now I do not know much about diabetes that being the reason I am here. I myself am on the opposite end of the spectrum where my blood glucose is too low. I've had a developed routine for quite sometime with it. Sadly now I am having problems myself because there is never any food to eat to help me maintain though I have taken to hiding food in my bedroom closet. But what kind of life is that where I actually have to sneak to eat in my own home.
I've tried talking to him about it and it does nothing. I've tried removing any and all unhealthy foods. Nothing! I don't know what else to do!
He is far too young, just a child, to not care this much about his own health and wellbeing.
Can someone, anyone, give me some kind of advice on how to deal with this. I know extreme hunger is a side effect and boy am I being run over by it.
Thanks for your time! God Bless!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread