It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2008, 04:16 AM   #1
(female)

MyOMy HB User
peripheral neuropathy possible?

First off a little background, I am a 45 year old female, sugar was last checked 10 years ago. it was 113 fasting then, doctor said it was nothing to worry about at that time, I have not had it rechecked since, I have just been letting it go, not wanting to know, I know not smart, but... anyway, I am coming to the point where I will be getting it checked, probably this week. I have been having some problems with the right foot swelling, right below and around the ankle, it also aches in that area, not shooting pains, just aching, this happens a few days out of the week, the rest of the time, my foot seems okay, this has been going on about 3 months. About 2 weeks ago, when I step on that foot, it has a pins and needles sensation going thru it, only when I step on it, not at rest or any other time. I also fell and wrenched my knee 2 month ago on that same leg, still having some issues with that. Anybody have any idea what this could be? My left foot seems totally fine, no swelling or pins and needles sensations, Thanks for any replies.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User
Re: peripheral neuropathy possible?

First, I want to disagree with your doctor from 10 years ago. A FBS of 113 IS something to be concerned about, if it is not a "fluke" occurrence. At the very least, he/she should have rechecked this and/or sent you for a glucose-tolerance test.

Peripheral neuropathy usually presents in both limbs. In my particular case, it is more like a feeling of constantly wearing socks, whether I have any socks on or not. I get some "pins and needles" too from time to time also. But they are not related to walking on my feet, they happen whether at work or at rest.

Your ankle swelling is a sign of reduced circulation - this is sometimes a symptom of congestive heart failure, too. It can come from a blood clot in your leg. Your recent injury makes me worry about this a bit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread