It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2008, 12:50 AM   #1
(female)

Frances1952 HB User
What can cause elevated blood sugar

Back in July I went to the doctor and he said my blood sugar was 110 and a1c was 6.3. I had an infection. I recently went into the hospital and my blood sugars are in the normal levels. I have been checking my glucose levels and in the last couple of months, the most was 120. The other day when the nurse told me my blood was fine, ate an ice cream cone, and after 2 hours it was about 87. Does anyone know what could have caused my glucose to be elevated a few months ago. Could it have been the infection.

Also, do you determine you have diabetes with only one test????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User
Re: What can cause elevated blood sugar

Sickness, particularly infections, can indeed cause blood sugar to rise. When I get a cold, mine goes up.

And, yes, a single glucose-tolerance test can determine diabetes. Even a single finger-stick if the reading is not marginal, say a fasting reading of 175.... pretty much an open and shut case....

when the finger-stick is 110 or 120, however, it is better to either use a glucose-tolerance test or at least, do another finger-stick to make sure it's not just an anomaly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
(female)

diabeticpumper HB User

Hello. Lots of factors go into your BS (blood sugar) readings....medications, food, exercercie, health, stress, weather, hormones, emotions, time of day. It's a juggling disease and everyday is a new day with new struggles and new BS readings.

As for a BS of 110-120, for someone who is not a diagnosed diabetic, this may raise an eyebrow for the treating physician and perhaps he/she may have you randomly take BS readings over a period of time, and check back in with the doc and your results.

However, should your BS read in the higher 100's, especially for a fasting BS, this is a concern and should be addressed with your physician. He/she will most likely administer proper indepth tests, such as a lab draw and urine.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:04 AM   #4
(female)

Frances1952 HB User

My blood sugar has been normal, in fact, my fasting bs was 74 the last time I had blood drawn. After a full meal my bg is normally under 100 after 2 hours. I had an infection when I went to the doctor. He only took one blood test, it was the first time I had been to him. I don't know if the infection caused my bg to be 110 or not, but it has been normal the last few months.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:12 PM   #5
(female)

diabeticpumper HB User

Well, you certainly have the text-book BS I could only dream of having! Definately should discuss your findings and concerns with the doc.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:21 AM   #6
(female)

Frances1952 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabeticpumper View Post
Well, you certainly have the text-book BS I could only dream of having! Definately should discuss your findings and concerns with the doc.
I have gone to a different doctor and my bg has been normal. I would not go to the first doctor to get a splinter out my finger. lol

Closed Thread