It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Blood glucose reading after a meal

How long after a meal should a person wait to take a blood glucose measurement? Should I wait one, one and a half, or two hours after I eat to use the glucose meter? Does one have to be consistent, or can the times vary with meals? Are there any guidelines for this?

thank you,
flowergirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User
Re: Blood glucose reading after a meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
How long after a meal should a person wait to take a blood glucose measurement? Should I wait one, one and a half, or two hours after I eat to use the glucose meter? Does one have to be consistent, or can the times vary with meals? Are there any guidelines for this?

thank you,
flowergirl

Some people measure at start, 1 hour after and 2 hours after. Others at start and 2 hours after, others just after 2 hours. I would try to be consistent

The idea is to be as low as you can 2 hours after. There are different guidelines, depending on how tight control you want to achieve. I personally am happy under 140, but prefer to be under 120.

Depending on the type of food you eat you may peak at different times. I usually peak between 60 and 90 minutes. High fat meals will peak later. High GI food food peaks earlier.

Last edited by itotito; 11-12-2008 at 07:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Most doctors will tell you to test at the 2-hour mark. By the way, the after meal tests are sometimes referred to as "post prandials", and you're supposed to start the timing from when you BEGIN eating, not when you finish.

As Itotito noted, you do need some consistency in the tests, but even if you usually test at the 2-hour mark, it's not a bad idea to occasionally test at 3 hours, just to see if your numbers are declining by that time. If your numbers stay up for 3 hours, then you need to change something in your regiment...usually your basal insulin (or increase your oral meds).

Ruth

Old 11-13-2008, 02:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Thank you very much for your replies. I have a lot to learn. In any case, it will be very interesting to see how the blood glucose behaves and which foods affect it the most.

Your help is much appreciated.
flowergirl

Old 11-14-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
(female)

SanFranGrrl HB User

I am odd I refuse to eat normal sized meals ( just rarely). I test more than 3 times a day and I eat in little snack sizes all day long.. trickling in the food. So I find the two hour mark not realistic for me as it is usually when I am eating again I never eat more than 30 grams of carbs at once 3 -4 times a day depending on exercise.. often just a veggie or some pure protein snacks without carbs. This works brilliantly for keeping my BS between 80-140... averaging around 110. I am not on meds and losing weight effortlessly and have high energy like I am 20 years younger with this method. I never leave the house without some Kashi crackers, cheese, liquid protein or a Luna bar. Its my version of the South Beach diet. Right now I am baking Brussel sprouts with fresh garlic and olive oil to snack on throughout tonight and tomorrow mixed them in with the protein and carbs and I am good to go! My cravings for carbs vanished!
the first BAD food or drink I discovered with my beloved little meter was caffeine..wow nothing spikes me like that stuff so I gave it up week one.. but now that I am no longer having blood sugar spikes because of the new eating I don't feel the need for the red bull pick me up so it worked out great for me.

Last edited by SanFranGrrl; 11-14-2008 at 03:52 PM.

Closed Thread