It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 07:14 PM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User
Why Does Blood Sugar Spike Overnight?

I have read about the liver causing the spikes, sending glucose into the blood during the night. Is this really true? I also read, eating before sleep eliminates the spikes. Can anyone say this works? Thanks.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:54 PM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

twokatss HB User
Re: Why Does Blood Sugar Spike Overnight?

I have this problem myself. I have found eating does not make your fasting BG any lower...That is for myself....I go to bed with a reading of 100-or less and wake up with 180 to 220....I am on insulin also and it keeps rising until about noon and then sudden drop....Even the insulin does not seem to help it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2008, 10:59 PM  
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User

The morning rise in blood sugar due to liver production of glucose during sleep is a well-documented medical fact known as "dawn phenomenon". Yes, it is indeed true.

Some people find, if they experience dawn phenomenon, that eating a small snack right before bed keeps the fasting reading lower. As the previous poster has stated, it doesn't for everyone.

Last edited by tfkeel; 11-14-2008 at 11:00 PM.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:30 PM  
(female)

diabeticpumper HB User

Another hurdle for myself too....you may want to set your alarm for the middle of the night, say between 1-3a and again early in the am, around 5-6am and test your BS at those times. Do this for a few days regularly, what this will do, is give you a better idea as to what your BS is doing overnight, most importantly, when and how it reacts. If indeed your experiencing a dawn effect, you may want to try have a 100 cal/15 carbs. snack with protein, before bed time(crackers and cheese/peanut butter for example). The carbs will rise your BS slightly and the protein will maintain that slight rise, which should help prevent your body naturally excreating glucose from the liver to prevent hypoglycemia overnight(dawn effect)

Old 12-03-2008, 06:19 AM  
(female)

psycholoon62 HB User
Unhappy Re: Why Does Blood Sugar Spike Overnight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokatss View Post
I have this problem myself. I have found eating does not make your fasting BG any lower...That is for myself....I go to bed with a reading of 100-or less and wake up with 180 to 220....I am on insulin also and it keeps rising until about noon and then sudden drop....Even the insulin does not seem to help it.
I have been fighting the dawn phenomenon now ever since I was diagnosed and have tried everything.Some nights I snack, other nights I don't. Some nights I have just protein,other nights I mix it up with carbs.I am not on insulin, however my DR upped my dose of glyburide at night and I still cannot come within normal morning fasting range. Last night at 10:30 pm my BS was 98. I ate a small snack at midnight and at 7:30am BS was 176.Does anybody know if doing some kind of late night exercise before bed will eliminate the dawn phenomenon?

Old 12-03-2008, 08:47 AM  
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User

As I understand dawn phenomenon, it occurs because the body senses a low BG during the sleep period, and causes the liver to output glucose to keep the body nourished.

The real question is this. The body tends to develop "set points", and to "set" the "set points" based upon recent history.

This is evidenced by the fact that someone with high BG is hungry.... because a BG of even 250 may be lower than his average. So, the body reacts by wanting to raise it. The same person with well-controlled diabetes
will find himself not hungry at all when his BG is 250, but he will feel hungry as it goes down to 100 if his A1c is 7 (corresponds to an average of about 150).

So, if your average BG is high during the day, the body will react at night to maintain this high average.

Your doctor is betting on lowering your BG average by increasing your sulfonylurea dosage. After time on this drug, the body stores residuals and the output becomes almost "time-released".

In that respect, adding exercise to your regimen, whether done at night or even in the morning, may lower your fasting reading.

The suggestion of diabeticpumper is quite good. I would be interested to know what this result is, and some more data, if you are comfortable to share it here.... such as your recent HbA1c and your 14-day average BG from fingersticks and when you do the sticks.