It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
(female)

ScarletS HB User
Unhappy New and struggling with it all

Hi
I have recently started injecting with insulin and I am really struggling with all of it at the moment. I am finding it very overwhelming to say the least.
I am overweight but I honestly do not eat like a pig, I actually struggle to eat all the food the dietitian wants me to eat it is just to much! A local health magazine had an article about diabetes where a doctor said that type 2 diabetes is caused by over eating and being lazy this made me cry. I will be the first to admit that I am not doing enough exercise I am a computer programmer and the nature of my work is to sit all day but I am making an effort to do 30min exercise a day.
The big thing that is getting to me at the moment is that since I started with insulin I have GAINED weight. I am currently taking 850mg Glucophage (Metformin) and I am injecting 36units of insulin twice a day. My sugar levels have gone from being between 17-20 fasting to being between 8-10 in the last month. Why am I gaining weight? This is so upsetting and my legs keep swelling as well , it is not just since I started with the medication but it is getting worse though.
Am I the only person that is struggling like this? I also do not understand what exactly all the medicine is suppose to be doing I know that it is to control my sugar but is the medication making me gain weight? And I am super emotional as well suddenly like I said at the start of this very long post I just find it all so very overwhelming!
Thanks for reading

Last edited by ScarletS; 11-15-2008 at 12:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User
Re: New and struggling with it all

Starting on insulin is, in many cases, accompanied by weight gain. This happens because prior to having the insulin, the body didn't metabolize food as well as it does with insulin. Unfortunately, some the excess calories which were being thrown away by your body are now being stored as fat.

Water retention is another well-known side effect of starting insulin therapy. This usually goes away in a few weeks.

The good news is this, your blood sugars are much better. However, you have a way to go yet.... your fasting sugars need to be in 6.5 to 7 area.

Your sedentary job is a BIG factor in your weight.... and now that you are on insulin, it will be a BIGGER factor. I also have a sedentary job, and have put on a little weight in the last two months because I had surgery and have been restricted from exercising or walking long distances. I had an open wound in my right leg for 6 weeks. I came off restriction last week, so I will be restarting my three-day per week trip to a local hospital and putting in 45 minutes of vigorous treadmill and stepper work.

I set as a goal for my exercise to burn 400 calories. The machines there have a display of the calorie expenditure. If I do this, and keep my eating under good control, I will get a half-pound per week loss. Over 3 months, this might grow to a pound per week if I really watch my calories.

Being overweight means NEITHER that you are lazy NOR that you overeat.
No one who is a computer programmer can possibly be lazy. It took a great deal of effort, study, and experience to learn your trade. Lazy people cannot accomplish what you have.

Your body, without exercise, has become a very efficient storer of fat. As you say, you don't even eat quota from the dietician, and you are gaining weight.

The exercise does a lot more than just burn 400 calories while you do it. Over time, it lowers your body-mass-index, giving you more muscle instead of fat. Muscle burns more calories to survive than fat does. So, you get a residual long-term reward for your effort.... plus, it helps your cardiac health and your respiratory health, too.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
(female)

diabeticpumper HB User

tfkeel has a good insight on insulin effects and diabetes in general. Another thing to realize is, with extra weight, particularly fat weight, the body works harder for the absorbtion of insulin--which is probably why your taking both oral and injections for BS control. Anyhow, as your BS numbers are out of control, more insulin may be required, and yes, additional weight is bound to stick. tfkeel nailed it regarding the muscle to fat ratio....more lean muscle content burns more calories sedentary than fat content. The goal is to build up that lean muscle mass, walking is a great way to start into a long term exercise routine. And remember, some exercise regularly is better than not at all. But you need to do it regularly otherwise your body will take much longer to build up those muscles and to loose those extra pounds.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User

I want to tell you what the intangible is for exercise....

You will feel like a million bucks !!! After about 2-3 months on a good walking program, like diabeticpumper has suggested to you, you will feel YOUNGER and more healthy than you have in a long time !!!!

Old 11-16-2008, 09:51 PM   #5
(female)

ScarletS HB User

Thank you so much for the replies! I currently can not do more than 30min because I have had a bloodclot 4years ago that went through my heart and my lung and recently I have been very short of breath and my heart is "beating funny" the cardio has put me on some new meds and said 30min max for two month while the new meds kick in. Good news is that we are in month two now so soon I will be able to kick up a notch! Is there anywhere I can look for a good exercise routine that I can at home - I dont like the gym set-up. Maybe there is something I can do already that wont elevate my heart rate to much?
Thanks

Closed Thread