It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
(female)

greggb36 HB User
How do you get high blood sugar to go down?

What kind of foods could i eat that would help bring my blood sugar down when it 360

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
(female)

PixiePower78 HB User
Smile Re: How do you get high blood sugar to go down?

I am still new at this myself, but I have found that eating the higher protien items that have few carbs in them help me not to send my levels higher while combating hunger. Things like a grilled chicken breast etc... or if I am on the road and would have gotten some terribly bad for me fast food have been known to eat pork rinds in a pinch. They are high in fat and cholesterol so should be consumed in moderation of course, but they have 0 carbs and are high in protien.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User
Re: How do you get high blood sugar to go down?

Exactly right. The 2 bywords are meat, or green... if it's a green vegetable, green beans, or all the leafy ones like lettuce, cabbage, kohlrabi, cucumbers, celery, spinach, etc.... eat ALL YOU WANT OF IT. Eat all the meat you want, any kind except mollusks. Beef, pork, chicken, turkey, fish, venison, moose, game fowl.....are all ok in any quantity.

Eliminate bread, pasta, and all the vegetables which are not green like potatoes, beans (other than green beans or wax beans), rice....

Last edited by tfkeel; 11-29-2008 at 03:57 PM.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: How do you get high blood sugar to go down?

While the above two posters have given you great advice in terms of preventing your blood sugar from going higher (or from going high in the first place) there is no food that will actually lower your blood sugar when it's high. The only thing that might do that would be exercise, but if your blood sugar is over 250, then you need to test for ketones first before exercising. For some reason, exercise combined with high blood sugar AND ketones will actually make your situation worse.

If you're a T2, you're much less likely to have ketones, but you still should check when your blood sugar is that high. There are strips you can purchase (Ketostix is one brand) that you just hold in your urine stream, shake off the excess, wait about 15 seconds, and compare to the color chart on the bottle to determine if you have no ketones, mild, moderate or severe ketones. If no ketones...then go for a brisk walk, and that'll help your blood sugar come down.

Ruth

Closed Thread