It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
(female)

uma_anne HB User
Cardio after splurging on sugar didn't work

Soo, itís the holidays and I thought Iíd take a little break from my strict diet. At an office party I had a piece of carrot cake with icing. Shortly after I had the cake I went to the gym and did cardio for 45 minutes straight. I tested my blood sugar after my cardio session and to my dismay I was at 168. This is a bit disconcerting since, in the past whenever Iíve done cardio, my blood sugar comes down quickly and substantially. For example several months ago 2 hours after lunch I had a reading around 140ish. I did cardio after and came down into the 90s.

I guess my question is, for the future, should I eat a ďtreatĒ before or after a cardio session? Whatís more effective for keeping my sugar down? Should I just never splurge on something sugary like that again?

Old 12-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Cardio after splurging on sugar didn't work

Uma Anne,
You were only at 168 after eating carrot cake? Girl, I'd be happy to be below 250 after a piece of carrot cake no matter how much exercise I did. That was a load of carbs (icing is just loaded with sugar) plus quite a bit of fat to moisten the cake.

The fact is, our blood sugar levels do not stay at an even 80-120 all the time no matter what we do. You did everything right...you usually eat well, but knowing you had a high-carb treat, you went and worked out. It will not hurt you in the long run to occasionally (the operative word here is "occasionally") have a treat, especially if you're going to work it off like that. Just don't do it too often, and you'll be fine.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2008, 12:35 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User

I echo what Ruth said.... if I ate that cake, I would be 250, too.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:31 AM   #4
(female)

uma_anne HB User

Thanks guys...that makes me feel better. Probably if I hadn't done cardio I would indeed have been at 250. I was worried too b/c this morning my fasting sugar was 121. It's usually not that high (generally I'm between 95 and 105 in the morning). I wonder if the high fasting sugar was a residual effect from the sugary treat I had the previous day?

After my high fasting morning sugar I did cardio (again!), tested after, and I was at 122! How frustrating! It seems as if exercise is not longer have an effect for me and I don't understand why.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:44 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uma_anne View Post
Soo, itís the holidays and I thought Iíd take a little break from my strict diet. At an office party I had a piece of carrot cake with icing. Shortly after I had the cake I went to the gym and did cardio for 45 minutes straight. I tested my blood sugar after my cardio session and to my dismay I was at 168. This is a bit disconcerting since, in the past whenever Iíve done cardio, my blood sugar comes down quickly and substantially. For example several months ago 2 hours after lunch I had a reading around 140ish. I did cardio after and came down into the 90s.

I guess my question is, for the future, should I eat a ďtreatĒ before or after a cardio session? Whatís more effective for keeping my sugar down? Should I just never splurge on something sugary like that again?
I don't know how soon after eating the cake you did your cardio, but what I have found that cardio will drop my levels the most when I start about 90 minutes after eating.

I did a lot of experimenting and running 90 minutes, 60 minutes, 30 minutes and immediately after eating and the 90 drops things the most.

My impression is that I eat, my glucose goes up, insulin is produced but not properly used. There seems to almost be a buildup of insulin. The longer I wait, the bigger buildup of insulin. The excercise cause an immediate use of the insulin and my levels drop considerably.

If I run right after eating, my levels never get high enough to get that real insulin production. The running prevents them from getting ridiculously high, but they will not be under 100 where I want them to be.

If I had a piece of carrot cake, waited 90 minutes I would probably hit 160ish, then run and drop to 90. Running sooner would not cause me to drop as much.

The drawback of the way I do it, is I have a short period of time 45 to 90 minutes after eating where my levels are higher than they could be.

Running to soon after a meal is not great on the digestive process, so I have found 90 mins is optimal for me.

Eating the treat after running would not be good for me.

Experiment, always use the same carb load and try and different times after eating.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:09 AM   #6
(female)

uma_anne HB User

Thanks itotito. That's really helpful. I think I went around 15 or 20 mins after having the cake. I'll have to try your strategy and go a little later.

I'm still confused about why exercise this morning didn't get my fasting number down.

Ruth - you pointed out that the cake was loaded with sugar and a lot of fat...is the fat detrimental? I actually thought the fat would help slow down the absorption of sugar in general (though I totally understand that in this case there was probably so much sugar that even the fat wouldn't have had much of an impact).

Old 12-03-2008, 07:12 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Thanks guys...that makes me feel better. Probably if I hadn't done cardio I would indeed have been at 250. I was worried too b/c this morning my fasting sugar was 121. It's usually not that high (generally I'm between 95 and 105 in the morning). I wonder if the high fasting sugar was a residual effect from the sugary treat I had the previous day?

After my high fasting morning sugar I did cardio (again!), tested after, and I was at 122! How frustrating! It seems as if exercise is not longer have an effect for me and I don't understand why.
You cannot imagine how many times this has happened to me. Things are great, good fasting levels bla bla bla, then wham, a week or two of bad fasting levels. I was under 100 for a few months now, then last week, boom, 120 every day. This week is back to 100. Nothing changed in my habits.

I also found that excercise in the morning, on an empty stomach brought down my levels very little or even raised them.

I try to do my excercise only at night now.

There is a reason for morning excercise to not dop your levls. The minute your pulse goes up, a signal is sent to your liver that it needs to produce fuel. Your liver should be able to sense that the glucose levels are high enough, but it doesn't. The 'thermostat' in your liver is broken and it pumps out more glucose. It's producing as fast as your cardio is burning, with a net effect of neither going up or down.

If I have to excercise in the morning, I go higher on the carbs, get a good spike and then excercise. This resets the whole process for me.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:28 AM   #8
(female)

uma_anne HB User

Wow, that totally makes sense! You know a lot!

Here's another question - I've been doing this new workout which has very few "rest" and recovery days. I've been sore but am still pushing through it and working out despite the soreness I feel...could that stress on my body possibly be making my sugars (fasting an post prandial) higher than they normally are? I would think exercise would always help more than hurt but was just wondering.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Wow, that totally makes sense! You know a lot!

Here's another question - I've been doing this new workout which has very few "rest" and recovery days. I've been sore but am still pushing through it and working out despite the soreness I feel...could that stress on my body possibly be making my sugars (fasting an post prandial) higher than they normally are? I would think exercise would always help more than hurt but was just wondering.
I don't know a lot, I have just tried everything in the book

Your new routine can in theory have an effect on your fasting levels. For example, high excercise levels do cause more human growth hormones (HGH) to be produced over night. HGH is also believed to have an impact of glucose levels, it does create some insulin resistance. This is all thoeritical. The whole HGH, Cortisol, and other hormone cycle impacts insulin production and resistance...the feedback system is super duper complicated.

If you noticed your fasting levels got worst with the new routine, I would back of a little.

At one point i got obsessed with muscle vs fat, excercise a lot...I dropped my % body fat into the 12s which is low, lifted weights many times a week and was running crazy amounts. I backed off a bit, let my body fat come up slightly and run a lot, but not as crazy as before. My numbers actually improved.

No matter what, the benfits of excercise will greatly outweigh some of the glitches you will need to iron out, so don't stop. But do it in moderation.

I noticed that I get more benefit walking the dog in the morning than running with him. I keep the running for night.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Well, my absolute, definitive, positive answer is....yes and no!

Yes, the fat does slow down the absorption of the carbs, but if you're eating something that's extremely high carb along with high fat, such as pizza, cake with icing, etc., you'll be high later than usual and probably longer than usual. As you may remember, I'm on an insulin pump and we pumpers use something called "dual wave" for fatty foods...it splits our insulin dose so that we get some right away and the rest over a period of hours. With ice cream, which is high fat but not all that high carb, I dual-wave over two hours, but with pizza or cake/icing, I would dual-wave it over 4 hours. It just seems to work better that way. Of course you can't do that on oral meds or diet/exercise, but as I said before...you did everything you could have possibly done to mitigate that carrot cake and it basically worked!

Ruth

Closed Thread