HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diabetes (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diabetes/)
-   -   180 blood sugar (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diabetes/654979-180-blood-sugar.html)

desertdweller 12-08-2008 09:03 AM

180 blood sugar

Last Feb. I had some blood work done for some minor surgery. The day I got the blood work I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off. I was starving and I hadn't eaten much all day. About 30 minutes before I went in for the blood work I found a See's candy bar in my car and ate it real quickly.
The day of the surgery, the anesthesiologist was going through my blood work and cringed at my blood sugar level of 180. They did the surgery, but she said I should probably get my blood sugar checked by my regular doctor. Needless to say, I've just kind of forgot about it and chalked it up to the candy bar I ate right beforehand. My mom has been bugging me to get my blood work checked again.I guess Type2 diabetes runs in my family, but I am not over weight in the slightest. I have no symptoms of Diabetes. I do not eat anything with gluten in it so I tend to eat low carb.

Did I mention that I [B]hate[/B] to go to the doctor,lol? Thoughts?

SamQKitty 12-08-2008 11:08 AM

Re: 180 blood sugar

Despite the candy bar, 180 is still a bit high for a non-diabetic. It's possible that you're just in the beginning stages of T2 or even in the stage they call "pre-diabetic." The thing is, you need to find out and do something about it NOW, while it may still be possible for you to prevent the onset of T2, or at least delay it.

What you need are a couple of fasting blood glucose levels and possible a glucose tolerance test. If your fasting levels are still okay (under 100), the GTT would show how your body is utilizing glucose and if you need to start taking better care of yourself with diet and exercise.

Incidentally, following a "diabetic" diet doesn't mean you can't ever have treats anymore...it just means you need to consider what you're eating and not overdo on the carb consumption at any one meal, and limit treats to occasionally instead of often.

Ruth

desertdweller 12-08-2008 02:36 PM

Thank you for the response. I finally bit the bullet and made an appt. for two weeks from now. Could my sugar have been so elevated because I hardly ever eats sweets?

I honestly don't see how I could take better care of myself. I exercise all the time and never eat breads or pasta. I keep thinking the test was a mistake.

SamQKitty 12-08-2008 03:19 PM

Well, a couple of things could be going on. You didn't say how old you are, but T2 is a disease of both weight and age, along with heredity. Being overweight definitely predisposes someone to it, but if you've got a strong family history of it, then you might develop it as you get older. That's why I said it's important to find out now, so that you can do everything possible to minimize its potential impact on you.

On the other hand, if you're not overweight, it's possible you are developing either T1 or T1.5. Both are auto-immune illnesses, but T1.5 develops much more slowly than T1. If you've recently had some sort of viral infection, then you might suspect T1 or T1.5. The way to test for those is to have your doctor do a c-peptide and GAD antibody test along with the fasting bloodwork.

And sometimes it's just a mystery as to why we develop T2. I know it's easy for me to say this (being a 24-year veteran of the D wars), but really...it's not the end of the world. The end of the world would be not knowing and therefore developing complications because you weren't diagnosed soon enough! I've seen that happen to too many people, and it always makes me angry at the doctors who just don't take T2, especially, seriously enough.

Okay...so you've got a couple of weeks to psych yourself up before that doctor's appointment. Take some deep breaths, do some relaxation exercises like deep breathing, meditation, etc., and know that whatever happens, you are a strong person and you will be okay.

And do come back and let us know how your appointment goes.

Ruth

desertdweller 12-08-2008 07:06 PM

I am 43, 5'5" 125 lbs., but very active and never sick. Many people in my family are overweight and have T2 . My mom and sister have Lupus (auto-immune illness). Ok, should I ask her to do a c-peptide and GAD antibody test, or assume she will do one?