It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
(female)

karenk81 HB User
I take insulin but my sugar will not go down

I take insulin but my sugar will not go down

Old 12-21-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: I take insulin but my sugar will not go down

Hi Karen,
That's not enough information for anyone to give you any suggestions. Perhaps you could tell us a bit more? What type of diabetes do you have, when were you diagnosed, are you overweight or not, what type of insulin do you take, how much and how often, do you count carbs, etc.

All of that might give us a better picture of what's going on with you.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
(male)

zate HB User
Re: I take insulin but my sugar will not go down

Yes, without more information it's very hard to say what the problem is. However, I've experienced problems with insulin in the past that you may want to consider.

A common issue (and one I encountered), was scar tissue and damaged injection/bolus sites. This happened while I was using injections and now with an insulin pump, and is typically the result of poor rotation and reusing sites on the body that need time to heal. Injecting or delivering a bolus of insulin into scar tissue or an overly abused site can lead to poor and unpredictable absorption, often resulting in sporadic blood sugar levels or levels that don't seem to drop.

When I first started using a pump, this problem caused my insulin absorption to be very drawn out and ineffective, so the insulin (Humalog) would take an hour or more to have a significant effect in some cases, much longer than normal. This made it very difficult to keep my sugar levels in control.

Another common issue is the type of insulin you're using. I was diagnosed when I was three years old (Juvenile Diabetes), and originally took a human-derived insulin. It was ineffective, and eventually stopped working altogether. I then used pork-derived Regular and NPH insulins for a long time without any problems. I've heard of people building tolerances to certain kinds of insulin; you may want to look into that.

Issues with insulin absorption and effectiveness can be a very serious problem. I suggest you speak to a doctor about this to get professional advice.

I hope this helps, and good luck.

Last edited by zate; 01-04-2009 at 10:51 PM.

Closed Thread