It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2008, 06:34 AM   #1
(male)

ishr HB User
Protein Carb Ratio per Meal & Snack

I am Insulin Resistant and I think that I'm doing pretty well - can find lots of stuff for diabetics (tips etc.) but some of the info for those of us w/IR seems to lack consistancy. Is there a bible out there that I can get, learn from and follow.

Big question is how much of what do I eat? Have read that I need a 2:1 ratio (carb to protein) when I eat. I try but it's hard to find healthy sources of protein sometimes and a man can only eat so much cheese.

For breakfast I eat eggs and cheese but as the day goes on I work carbs into the equation. I eat every three hours, cottage chees and all bran for snacks, turkey wraps for meals - my choices are pretty good I think? But every now and then "poof" I'll just blow up 3 to 5 pounds and I won't have done anything different - I am I worrying about nothing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User
Re: Protein Carb Ratio per Meal & Snack

The "poof" weight gain is most likely fluid retention. You may be unaware of it but ingesting a lot of salt. Many cheeses are loaded with it. Cold cuts are notoriously salty, too.

Fluid retention seems to be part of the diabetes "game". I can go up and down by 7-8 pounds with it.

You are correct, in that it is VERY HARD to find healthy sources of proteins. One thing that helps me immensely is that I cook my own eggs, meat, etc. so I can control the salt content. I am also hypertensive and keeping my salt intake low is essential. If you like cheese, there is a particularly good swiss cheese called Heidi Ann which is low in salt and fat.

If I am on the road for a few days, my weight will baloon upward because of the increased salt intake from eating in restaurants. I don't worry about it too much because I will drop the pounds again once I get home for a few days and go back to my good food.

Your ratio of 2:1 carbs would be high for me but it is reasonable if you are having good success with diabetic control as shown by your HbA1c.

One choice to consider that works well for me is beans. A good amount of the carbs are in fiber and don't add to your glycemic load. And they are nutritious and contain good mineral resources.

I have a copy of "Mayo Clinic on Managing Diabetes" which is my "bible".

Last edited by tfkeel; 12-23-2008 at 11:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread