It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
(male)

howerd HB User
Blood Sugar Question

Hi all,

I'm not Diabetic, but in the last few years, I had a couple of general bloodworks that showed a high glucose (104) after about a 6-8 hour fast (overnight). On three other tests, I scored in the 90s or 80s. This is when I was eating really poorly and not watching my diet at all.

So, I'm recently on a health kick and eating well and decided to buy a glucose meter and watch my blood sugar. By the way, I'm ideal body weight and have no diagnosed medical problems.

Because of my healthier diet, I've been tracking my blood sugar and usually in the mornings it's in the 80s, and two hours after a meal, it's back down in the 80s, maybe still 90s, or maybe just peeking over 100 depending on what kind of meal I had. So, I've been pretty happy that my glucose seems to be in the normal range.

But I've noticed a couple times that right before dinner (about 5:30 or 6:00) I'll bottom out and have a glucose reading of low 70s, or even high 60s. This is disturbing to me. This is even with a small 3:00 snack. I can't understand why my glucose would drop like this in the span of 3 hours when I can go all night and it only drops to the 80s.

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks,
Eisenhower

Last edited by howerd; 02-02-2009 at 09:22 PM.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User
Re: Blood Sugar Question

First off, unless you're feeling bad at levels of high 60s and 70s, you don't have to worry about the drop. Secondly, there are two possible explanations for your blood sugar during the day as opposed to night. 1. You are active and burning far more calories during the day, which will naturally decrease the levels of blood glucose in your system, whereas you don't need as many calories to keep your BG level at night. 2. You aren't monitoring your blood sugar during the night. It's more than possible that you are actually hitting the same levels during the night, except you're asleep so you don't know it. Your body is pretty good at stabilizing it's own blood sugar levels by releasing either insulin or glucagon (which causes glycogen to be released from your liver, which raises BG). So if you're hitting the 60s at night and your body decides its necessary, you'll release a little dose of glucagon to stabilize your sugar while you sleep. If you didn't eat anything during the day at those levels, you would notice that your blood sugar would stabilize on its own eventually.

Hope that's helpful!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
(male)

howerd HB User
Re: Blood Sugar Question

Sure is - thanks very much!

Closed Thread