It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
(female)

moogie1019 HB User
Glucose reading 119?? WHat does that mean?

Hi, I am brand new to this board, but I just got a call from my Neurologist that has me worried. She said my fasting glucose was 119 and she wanted me to see my DR right away?? I made an appointment for Friday Morning and will see what she has to say. meanwhile could anyone tell me what a fasting glucose of 119 actually means?? The Neurologist didn't go into details and I'm worried. I am overweight and on a diet, but have never had blood sugar problems before now. Is this diabetes? Please advise. Thanks

Old 02-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User
Re: Glucose reading 119?? WHat does that mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogie1019 View Post
Hi, I am brand new to this board, but I just got a call from my Neurologist that has me worried. She said my fasting glucose was 119 and she wanted me to see my DR right away?? I made an appointment for Friday Morning and will see what she has to say. meanwhile could anyone tell me what a fasting glucose of 119 actually means?? The Neurologist didn't go into details and I'm worried. I am overweight and on a diet, but have never had blood sugar problems before now. Is this diabetes? Please advise. Thanks
A measure of 126 or higher would be a diagnosis of diabetes. They would probably do this twice to be sure

119 is in a state called pre-diabetes. Sometimes, with diet and excercise, a person can improve or even reverse pre-diabetes.

I hate it when the doc does that. they should provide a little info rather than spooking people.

119 is not the end of the world but may be a strong wake up call. Don't panic...weight loss, diet and excercise are options. If they don't work, medication is an option, but often weight loss goes a long way

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
(female)

flexy633 HB User

I just had a free blood glucose test at a health fair. In addition, they checked my cholesterol too. Both tests showed that my blood glucose was over the limit. I was at 124. The woman at the diabetes table told me that this could be pre-diabetes, but I should be checked by my doctor. Well, I don't have insurance!!!!

I know how you feel. It is very scary. So, I have decided to start watching what I eat and exercising again. I have NEVER had high blood glucose levels. I also question how this could change so dramatically in only two years???

Old 02-28-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

How soon, after eating, did you have the glucose test?

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Old 02-28-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User

Hi there moogie1019.

A reading of 119 will likely be diagnosed as pre diabetes. Your neurologist should have told you that rather than alarming you! You said you were on a diet. That's a good step towards preventing the development of type two diabetes. If you lose weight your blood sugars will most likely go down. On the one hand your neurologist was wise to point this out, but irresponsible in telling you without explanation. Unless it was over 126 you will most likely not be diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic. When I was diagnosed my fasting sugars were over 200. Now, I am type one so the numbers might be a bit different, but, with a 119 sugar count you probably don't have much to worry about if you continue on your diet and lose weight. Extra weight causes insulin resistance and insulin resistance makes your blood sugars go up, which leads to type two diabetes. Losing weight decreases your insulin resistance.

Flexy633: you should check out your local Walmart. Some offer what is called an A1c test for $10 that will tell you what your sugars have been like over the past 3 months. Anything under 6, I believe is normal for non diabetics. A lot of doctors will put newly diagnosed diabetics on a diet and exercise routine. If you do this yourself and get an A1c test every month or two you can monitor yourself without the expense of going to a doctor. If your A1c level goes above 6 then you are considered diabetic, in which case you will have to go see a doctor because you may need medication to control your diabetes, especially if your A1c levels are above 7, then you would definitely need medication, but if it stays below 6 you are only out $10 and you know you are not diabetic.

I hope everything turns out well for the both of you,
Catheryn

Last edited by catheryn; 02-28-2009 at 09:35 PM.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:57 AM   #6
(female)

moogie1019 HB User

Thank you everyone for your replies. I really appreciate them.
My Blood sugar was rechecked by my DR after I had eaten only milk and a banana, 2 hrs prior, and it was at 97, so she said we'd watch it but she wasn't was worried about it at as I was. I'm to have the A1C test done the next time I go in and I'm to continue on my diet, which I am. SHe's more concerned right now with other tests the neurologist is having me do. I may be looking at back surgery and am having a Myleogram this Friday. (sigh) I'll sure be glad when all the testing is done!! Hugs, JEan

Old 03-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User

That's great news, Jean (about your blood sugars, not your other health issues!). Bananas have a lot of sugar in them so a reading of 97 afterwards is a positive thing (my blood sugars skyrocket when eat bananas).

I hope everything else works itself out!

Old 11-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
(female)

Nhlsurvivor2008 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by itotito View Post
A measure of 126 or higher would be a diagnosis of diabetes. They would probably do this twice to be sure

119 is in a state called pre-diabetes. Sometimes, with diet and excercise, a person can improve or even reverse pre-diabetes.

I hate it when the doc does that. they should provide a little info rather than spooking people.

119 is not the end of the world but may be a strong wake up call. Don't panic...weight loss, diet and excercise are options. If they don't work, medication is an option, but often weight loss goes a long way
my fasting blood sugar the other day was 131 and tonight after eating it was 170.. normally my blood sugar is way lower.. what does this mean?? My legs are also constantly swollen and I have major increased thirst

Old 12-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhlsurvivor2008 View Post
my fasting blood sugar the other day was 131 and tonight after eating it was 170.. normally my blood sugar is way lower.. what does this mean?? My legs are also constantly swollen and I have major increased thirst
Have you been diagnosed as diabetic? 131 is pretty high for fasting. How soon after eating was it 170? With your other symptoms, you should definitely see your doctor for an analysis.

Reply Reply