It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 02:42 AM   #1
(female)

Gail312 HB User
Thumbs up Newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and scared

Hello all. I am not new to Health Boards, but new to the diabetes site. I was recently hospitalized with a blood glucose of 1,275...no that is not a misprint. I have had some suspicians that I was diabetic due to increased thirst, frequent urination,etc.., and even made an appt with my PCP to have this checked out. The day of my appt., my daughter called me to babysit and well the rest is history. That weekend my husband had to call 911 because my behavior changed drastically and I was drinking water by the gallon and asked him to get me some pop which I don't drink. Well, I started acting like a "drunk," and I even fell at one point. My husband was petrified and I don't remember anything after that except waking up in ICU 3 days later. Please forgive my long post, but I tend to be a detail person???

I was in the hospital for almost 2 weeks and on insulin, Metformin, and Amaryl. When discharged, I was only on the meds and still wonder why they gave me insulin in the hospital right up until the moment I was discharged??? My BG is somewhat eratic still and have had some pretty heavy blurred vision, but the vision appears to improve daily. I was told that with consistent BG the vision would improve, but my numbers still are not that great...I mean inconsistent.

I am on an 1800 calorie diet with 45-60 carbs per meal, and am actually losing weight...slowly, but it's definitely coming off. I'm also supposed to take in 15 carbs with snacks in between each meal!! I feel like all I do is eat and monitor my BG!!! Why all the food? I really have little appetite and was also diagnosed with a gall bladder full of sludge that needs to come out, which I'm sure contributes to my loss of appetite. (was having nausea and vomiting, but doc put me on Meclizine routinely and it seems to help).

I do apologize for the novel, but as I said....details. I am supposed to attend a class next month which I hope will fill in some of the gaps, but I am downright scared. I had 5 docs in the hospital and nearly lost my life. The diabetes doc said I have had this for a long time, but just never caught it???? Is that possible???

Just for the record I have chronic problems with my back, DDD, herniations, and spondylosis at 3 levels in my lumbar, and I do take meds for this too..just in case that matters. It's already so much to contend with the back and then this??? Hmmm, I'm thinking I must have done something really bad in my past life? LOL!

Okay, Okay, I will stop. Just so much to tell and not enough time and fear I will scare people with my long posts!

For those that got through this, thank you. Any offers of advice, experience, or support would be greatly appreciated as I muddle through this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and scared

Insulin is given in a hospital setting because it offers the doctors quick access and powerful control of your BG levels. High blood sugar levels are accompanied by wide variations, you are seeing some of that continuing now as you bring your carb intake under control.

You can probably look forward to about 3 months of a well-controlled diet, exercise, and medication regimen before your sugars will become stable at
good levels. Through the early period, I would expect your readings to be
all over the map as your body tries to decide where its "setpoint" really is.
Your symptoms, such as your blurred vision, will probably subside before that.

The diet with the extra carb snacks is designed to help you calm those pertubations down and the medical personnel a chance to see where your "baseline" is so they can adjust your meds.

Many people find out they have diabetes for the first time when there has already been an unfortunate outcome such as kidney problems, liver problems, loss of eyesight, etc. This is the thing that brings them to the doc.

Last edited by tfkeel; 02-11-2009 at 08:33 AM.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
(male)

tat209 HB User

hiya gail, don't be afraid i've had diabetes for 26 years and yeah there's up and down day's where you feel like crap. i am on 4 insulin injections daily, and have had a few problems along the path, but hey just stay happy breath the air and be happy with your family and good friends around you that you can smile at and live good memories with.

many regards x x

Old 02-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
(female)

catlover82 HB User

Gail, I have a couple of friends who are diabetic (type 1) and a lot of family members with type 2 and most of them are the healthiest people I know.

I look at diabetes as sort of kick in the butt to be more proactive in my health. If I wasn't diagnosed with diabetes 10 years ago I'd probably be 100lbs heavier than I am now, much less disciplined and not aware of how lucky I am to be healthy.

In fact, I find the discipline I've had to adapt to has crossed over into other facets of my life as well. That's a good thing because I was anything but before my diagnosis.

Don't be worried or scared! As long as you keep your sugars in check, and take care of your body you should be fine! My dad's blood sugars were out of whack for such a long time he's losing his eyesight and has neuropathy and was recently diagnosed with heart disease. I, on the other hand have been keeping myself in check for the majority of the past 10 years (a few slips here and there, I had about a 6 month period last year when I let everything go, but I'm back on track now) and not only did my opthamologist tell me last month he sees no signs of diabetes in my eyes, but my GP has told me I couldn't be in better health these days. So as long as you keep yourself in check your risk of complications isn't as big of an issue.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #5
(male)

cantonbulldog HB User

Gail: I have been a diabetic for 30 years now. I was diagnosed when taking a physical for life insurance. My count was 450. The odd thing was I was 27 and in excellent physical condition at the time. It runs deep on my mother's side of the family. My mother and her 5 sisters all have or had diabetes. Don't make the mistake I did for 20 years. I'd take my insulin shot, have a smoke, a beer and pizza. 10 years ago I had 5 stents placed in my heart and was told I had the cornary arteries of a 60 year old (at age 47). It was made clear to me I had to make drastic changes or I'd be dead. I lost 50 pounds and have been walking 5 times a week at least 2 miles or more. I quit the smokes and the only meat I eat is fish and ocassionally boneless skinless chicken. I was able to go off the insulin to orals (Actos). My last cath (Oct. 08), I was told the arteries have not gotten any worse and have reversed a little bit (my age is finally catching up to my arteries). You can live with this disease. My mother started at age 30 and she just had her 87th birthday. Your sugar count was the highest I've ever heard. It may take some time to balance you out. Listen to what the medical people tell you. Don't be a dumbass like i was. God bless and take care.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
(female)

DibeticAthlete HB User

Gail,
Look you should be scared. You're health is in jeopardy and you were in the intensive care unit! Now one thing you haven't talked about is your weight. Judging by your post you are over weight. Let me first say I have been type 1 for over 25 years now and have been through everything in regards to diabetes...but have no complications like blindness or kidney failure. Look Gail get off the couch. Get your *** to the gym and sweat for an hour a day. The benefits of exercise is better control, BG levels will regulate, weight loss, improved heart and guess what,....better sex...yeah that's right your stamina will improve (this also goes for men too!). If those aren't enough reasons to get you to the gym I don't know what will.

Now look I understand that cake tastes damn good. Why should you not eat pie...what could be better than pie? Well let me tell you the truth...I would never exchange running the Ottawa marathon for a slice of pie. I will not exchange my best friends cheering me on while I compete in a triathlon. I used to choose cake....but not any more. Finishing a triathlon and then continuing and running a full marathon 42.2 km (26.1 miles if you are american). Nothing beats the races I've run....there is no cake that makes me smile as much as the medals hanging on my wall. I was overweight and know how tough it can seem...but it's not hard, once you start it's easy.

Set a goal for yourself...pick a race and register to compete. you need something to work for. You need a reason to work out. If you don't you might as well shop for a coffin. Sorry to be so hard on you but you need a dose of reality. Get to the gym, get to a dietitian, get on the right meds and save your life.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User

DiabeticAthlete: I agree with your points, but what you have to also consider is that type 2 is a different disease than type 1. It's often easier for type 1s to keep their weight down or lose weight because they are often diagnosed earlier so they can make lifestyle changes easier and they usually don't have the insulin resistance type 2s usually do. Insulin resistance can make is hell to lose weight.

Also, type 2 is generally diagnosed later in life and it can be VERY hard to change habits when you've been doing the same thing your entire life.

Is all this an excuse to not take care of yourself and take things seriously? No. But, it doesn't mean everyone can be as disciplined as you are.

I was diagnosed with type 1 when I was young and it's still sometimes hard today to keep everything on track.

Last edited by catheryn; 03-02-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:37 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by catheryn View Post
DiabeticAthlete: I agree with your points, but what you have to also consider is that type 2 is a different disease than type 1. It's often easier for type 1s to keep their weight down or lose weight because they are often diagnosed earlier so they can make lifestyle changes easier and they usually don't have the insulin resistance type 2s usually do. Insulin resistance can make is hell to lose weight.

Also, type 2 is generally diagnosed later in life and it can be VERY hard to change habits when you've been doing the same thing your entire life.

Is all this an excuse to not take care of yourself and take things seriously? No. But, it doesn't mean everyone can be as disciplined as you are.

I was diagnosed with type 1 when I was young and it's still sometimes hard today to keep everything on track.

Yes T1 and T2 are different animals, but the result for not getting our glucose levels is the same, blindness, dialysis....

I am not trying to scare people, but this is all avoidable, and for a T2, excercise and weight loss is a must. People should not only rely on medication.

Yes it's hard, yes it's painful. It takes a lot of will power, but once you start it does get easier and easier.

Like DiabeticAthlete i went to the extreme, swimming every morning, running every night. Yes this requires a certain amount of will power that not all people have.

But you don't have to do this. Just walk 1/2 hour a day is a great start. Unless you have a medical condition and not able to, walking 1/2 hour a day is not that big a deal. Taking the stairs at work, walking to the grocery store are all easy to do things that make a huge difference.

I am T2. I was more than 60lbs over weight. But the doc scared the living %^&# out of me telling me I may have damaged my kidneys. I was lucky I hadn't. But I got on a bike and peddled and peddled and peddled for 3 months. It's hard, it is brutal at times, but your eyes, your kidneys, your limbs are worth it.

Start slow, build up and within a year, your stamina, looks and health will be the reward for the effort.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:09 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User

I had a period in my late teens when I started university where quite frankly I wasn't looking after myself (sugars, weight, etc...) and my doctor also scared the **** out of me. She told me if I didn't shape up and start doing what I was supposed to be doing (I'd go without taking any insulin, go very hyperglycemic, drink too much, etc...) I was going to have my "legs chopped off" by the time I'm 30 and not be able to have children because it would kill me.

That was pretty much all it took for me to smarten up, and so far, no complications (my opthamologist, in fact, told me yesterday you could not tell i was diabetic by looking at my eyes because they were in perfect shape). I'm not perfect all the time, in fact I fell asleep last night without taking my NPH and my sugar this morning was a bit high (high for me -- still in normal range, but I tend to have sugars in the low end of normal), but overall I'm doing well. It's not about being perfect all the time, but doing the best you can and keeping your sugars under control.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
(female)

mytrose43 HB Usermytrose43 HB Usermytrose43 HB Usermytrose43 HB User

OMG you were very lucky that someone was there with you,the highest mine has ever been was about 800 but I also had the thirst and blurred vision which got bad i was considered legally blind for about 4 week it was not fun as you well know ,I was was diagnosed in 2003 but put on insulin right away I am also insulin resistant i am on 60 units of levemir daily and 5-7 units novolog with only one meal aday my a1c last month was 10.8 not good i have lost over 100 lbs and that has not helped but i keep trying, Just wanted to send you my best and hope you never have that high of a bg again, valerie

Old 05-24-2012, 05:03 AM   #11
(female)

fremjerr HB User

hello don't be afraid but have faith in God that you can find a way to manage and even reverse.

Keep the faith and remember not to be afraid, speak to people on the forum and get more advice from your physician.

All the best!

Fremjerr

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-24-2012 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:43 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

Now you know what was wrong with you, you can take steps to assure that it never gets that bad again.

And dibeticathlete - Getting up and exercising for an hour a day every day might be all very well in theory, but not everyone can do it. The OP mentioned a serious back injury... she might not be able to exercise at all. My husband won't exercise. But his diet and meds improved his sugar very quickly. Exercise would make things better for him, but he's doing very well considering he's not getting it. He's lost about 50 pounds in two months just from cutting out the carbs and getting his sugar under control.

Last edited by Kaji; 06-03-2012 at 06:43 AM. Reason: oops

Reply Reply