It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
(female)

cnorris HB User
how many carb does a diabetic need

how manycarb does a diabetic need

Old 02-14-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User
Re: how many carb does a diabetic need

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnorris View Post
I don't think there is a magic number.

Everyone needs carbs in a healthy, balanced diet. We need fruits, vegetables, grains...and all of these contain carbs.

But as a diabetic we have to find the right balance between keeping our glucose levels in check (less carbs) and getting the right amount of vitamins, nutrients, fiber....

I would rather sacrifice a .1 or .2 or even .5 on my 1ac in order to achieve a better balance of diet.

i would say 30 to 40% of your calories should come from carbs. So if you need 1800 calories a day, 540 to 720 calories should come from carbs, so that's 135 to 180g of carbs.

So you need to pick the right carbs and space them out not to shoot up your glucose levels.

If you don't eat carbs, you will ingest protein or fat. Both have their downsides.

Finding a balance is not a trivial task. Personally, I would eat as many carbs as I can while maintaining a 1ac below 5.5. The minute I got above that, I would cut down on the carbs. But that's my personal threshold. Some would argue that a 1ac of 6, or 6.5 would be fine.

Ingesting carbs from eating cheesecake has little nutritional value and lots of bad glucose consequences. That doesn't make sense. But eating grains or milk, although it contains carbs does. We need Vitamin D and Calcium.

Veggies...carbs...have value to prevent other diseases.
What's the use of having a 1ac of 4.8 and a cancer that could have been prevented by eating more veggies.... or ostoporisis...or.... ?
Make sense ?

It's a tough juggling act. There is no right answer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2009, 07:23 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

spike99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnorris View Post
I agree with itotito.

Each T2 and Pre-D "D" body is different. Thus, no "one magical' number fits all.

In addition to itotito's feedback, one's daily carb intake "sweet spot" (sort of speaking) depends one daily activity level as well. For my low exercise days (like business trips and VAC days), my body is most comfortable around 75 carbs "per day". But on my 3+ hours exercise days (which is a normal day for me), my body likes up to 110 carbs per day. If I only eat 75 carbs and try to exercise my usual 3+ hours of exercise, my body gets "too tired" feeling. Thus, proving that my body needs additional carbs for for my "higher carb need" on exercise days.

For my T2 body, I found exercising after each meal dramatically lowers my BG numbers. It lowers my 2 hours after meal and overal daily BG average. Exercise for 30-45 minutes (like a simple "speed walk" around the city block) gets my digestive system working more efficiently. For some "D" folks, exercise has no BG lowering effect. For others, exercise after each meal has dramatic BG number improvement. Each T2 / Pre-D body is different.

For my one friend, he eats 50-60 carbs per day. No starches, no grain foods, no breaded foods and no high GI Fruits. He eats mostly skinned poultry, Fish, veggies and low GI Fruits. For him, 50 carbs per day is best of his unique T2 body.

Note: For T1s and T2 insulin dependants, they inject more insulin for the numbers of carbs they eat. More carbs means more insulin amount is injected (or pumped in). For them, less carbs means less medication amount as well.

Hope this helps as well...

Last edited by spike99; 02-15-2009 at 08:13 AM. Reason: fixed some spelling..

Old 02-15-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike99 View Post
on my 3+ hours exercise days
Is that 3 hours or more a day ? How many times a week ?

If so, wow, that is a lot of exercise for such a small carb load.

Last edited by itotito; 02-15-2009 at 08:27 AM.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User

Quote:
Ingesting carbs from eating cheesecake has little nutritional value and lots of bad glucose consequences. That doesn't make sense. But eating grains or milk, although it contains carbs does.
That's one very good thing about insulin use. It is pretty easy for me, with moderate exercise, to eat a nutritious diet which doesn't contain lots of fat or red meat. I choose chicken and turkey for meats most of the time, and only eat bacon about once every couple months.

Itotito is absolutely right. If you don't eat carbs, you will eat protein and fat instead. I controlled my diabetes for many years by limiting carbs. Although I was "successful" in terms of keeping my A1c and my finger sticks reasonable, I wound up with a triple bypass at 54. Thankfully, I didn't have a heart attack, the blockages were seen on a stress test before I did.

With the insulin, I can keep a good (last one 5.5) A1c while feeling satisfied and not having to be crazy about the carbs like I used to be. I like to keep it below 6. I don't really need extreme amounts of insulin, either. I am on a low dose of Lantus and typically only use 20-25 units of coverage a day.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

spike99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by itotito View Post
Is that 3 hours or more a day ? How many times a week? If so, wow, that is a lot of exercise for such a small carb load.
For me, I do 30-45 minutes exercise AFTER each meal. For example, have breakfast and do 500 calorie burn (approx 30 minutes) on my glider, have lunch and do 500 calorie burn (approx 40 minutes) on my dual action stationary bike, have dinner and do 35 minutes on my TM. Every other evening (before bed time), I do 4 mile jog (which is 45 minutes). On every other night, I do skipping rope. In addition to this, I also do hand weights, situps, push ups, etc. etc. During summer months, I also do lots of swimming, kayaking, cliff jumping adventures and peddle bike adventures. I try to focus on muscle building tasks one day and cardio burn tasks the next day. If wondering, my exercise 3+ hours every day is done 6 days per week. This "works for me". When I get older, I'll probably have to reduce my daily exercise time. But for now, this 3+ hours "per day" works. It keeps my T2 body off the "D" meds.

Last edited by spike99; 02-15-2009 at 09:41 AM.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

spike99 HB User

When days I need to sit still for 6 hours (like business trip flights or family VAC "driving" days), I eat appropriately as well. Most folks drive and visit those fast food or hiway Service Center places. Or, sit in a plane and have their free meal. They "fill up" and continue on their way. For me (sitting in the same position that long), I simply take an apple, hand full of unsalted nuts and a bottle of clear water. Apple (Medium - Raw with skin) is approx 20 carbs. Nuts is approx 2 carbs. Bottle of water is zero carbs. Thus, 22 carbs does NOT make my BG number go vertical. If I ate the same "over loaded carbs even when not needed" meals like normal non-D adults, my BG numbers go into mandatory "D" meds range. If one is sitting in the same position (like driving for flying), why "fill up" on food, then take "D" meds to knock their BG number back down? This "eat for one's exercise movements" works for me as well...

Last edited by spike99; 02-15-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: fixed some spelling...

Old 02-15-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike99 View Post
For me, I do 30-45 minutes exercise AFTER each meal. For example, have breakfast and do 500 calorie burn (approx 30 minutes) on my glider, have lunch and do 500 calorie burn (approx 40 minutes) on my dual action stationary bike, have dinner and do 35 minutes on my TM. Every other evening (before bed time), I do 4 mile jog (which is 45 minutes). On every other night, I do skipping rope. In addition to this, I also do hand weights, situps, push ups, etc. etc. During summer months, I also do lots of swimming, kayaking, cliff jumping adventures and peddle bike adventures. I try to focus on muscle building tasks one day and cardio burn tasks the next day. If wondering, my exercise 3+ hours every day is done 6 days per week. This "works for me". When I get older, I'll probably have to reduce my daily exercise time. But for now, this 3+ hours "per day" works. It keeps my T2 body off the "D" meds.

You are a lot like me. I too lost over 60lbs.

I don't exercise after every meal. I can't always organize it with work. So rather than exercise around my meals, I eat around my exercise

I run 45km (28miles) per week. Long runs on the weekend (20k) and 3x8k runs during the week. I swim 3 times one hour a week with a masters team. Add some situps, pushups and pullups.

So I eat more of my carbs depending on the exercise I plan on doing

Exercise in the morning does not drop my levels immediately, but my levels a few hours later are lower. So if I swim in the morning, I can take on more carbs at noon. Weird.....As you say, we all have different 'D' situations

I have backed off on running. I was up to 40 miles per week, but I am afraid of long term impact on my knees. So I started swimming and as soon as the snow is gone, I'll get back into some biking. I am registered for 2 triathlons this summer.

Had it not been the 'D', I would have never got into this.

I keep a journal and have for 3 years now. I do see my glucose levels are improving over the years, so something is working.

Last edited by itotito; 02-15-2009 at 06:04 PM.

Closed Thread