It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009, 10:31 PM   #1
(female)

cetiya HB User
hydroxycut raising blood sugar

I've just started taking hydroxycut for weight loss and twice my blood sugar has gone up very high. this morning,before I took the pills, my bs was 116, 45 minutes later, without eating, after exercising, my bs was 174. is there something about the hyrdoxycut that raises bs?? I'd hate to stop taking the pills, if they can help me lose weight.

Last edited by cetiya; 02-22-2009 at 10:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
(female)

catlover82 HB User
Re: hydroxycut raising blood sugar

If hydroxycut it making your sugars go up then it's a pretty good indication that you need to stop taking it NOW. If you're not doing anything else that would raise your blood sugars then it's obviously the hydroxycut.

Most of these weight loss pills are either ineffective or only work while you're taking them i.e.: you'll gain back all the weight you lose once you stop taking it.

Also: most weight loss pills have warnings on them that those who have certain diseases and conditions (diabetes almost always names in this list of diseases and conditions) shouldn't take them without consulting a doctor first. And, I'm pretty sure any doctor in their right mind would not advocate using these drugs.

And I'm sure I don't have to tell you what complications you're at risk for by having constant spikes in your blood sugars. I'd rather be fat and have decent blood sugars than be thin and only have one leg, or no eyesight or have to go on dialysis.

Sure weight loss helps with your diabetes, but a) you'll likely gain it all back if you lose it with pills anyway (often even more than you lost making you larger in the end) and b) you're putting yourself at serious health risk. If the hydroxycut's making your sugars go up what else is it doing to your body?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2009, 03:40 AM   #3
(female)

cetiya HB User

sigh! youre right of course. I have been exercising but reached a plateau and havent lost any weight lately. we wont even mention what this drug did to my blood pressure.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
(female)

catlover82 HB User

There are ways to overcome a plateau!

I've done a bit of research on the internet, mainly, regarding plateaus and most recommend raising your caloric intake for a week or so and going easy on the exercise and then drop your caloric intake back to what it was and to get back at the exercise. One site even suggested varying your caloric intake every day so you don't reach a plateau (so, 1500 one day, 1800 the next, 1400 after that, 2000 the day after that, etc...as long as you reduce your intake 3500 cals under your BMR each week you should lose a pound a week at least). I haven't tried this myself, but I've FINALLY started losing some pounds by eating around 1600 cals/day, but will consider this if I do reach a plateau.

Plateaus are normal! They happen to almost everyone, but if you're persistent and do a little research you should be able to overcome it without having to resort to drugs!

Last edited by catlover82; 02-23-2009 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Wrong figure! should read 3500 cals under your BMR each week, not 500 under your BMR!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
(female)

cetiya HB User

thanks for the advice, i'll try it for a month. hopefully it will help!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
(female)

catlover82 HB User

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Old 02-24-2009, 08:40 AM   #7
(female)

uma_anne HB User

Just a note here that a lot of diet meds such as hydroxycut contain amphetamines - that's what's probably driving up both your sugars and blood pressure.

Closed Thread