It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
(male)

brendon557 HB User
How long till a cure

for type 1 diabetes?

So i got diagnosed a few months ago back in december with type 1 diabetes, since then alot of things have been differnt, such as diet and stuff like that.

But i was told by multiple people that there shuld be a cure for type 1 diabetes within the next 2-4 years, And i did some research on google about this, but culdnt find anything about this,

I founfd stuff saying they found a cure in animals and for humans to but they are doing experiments still but all those articles are from like 5-10 years ago,

Does anyone know anything or have any information on the hole 2-4 years thing?

Thanks

Old 03-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User
Re: How long till a cure

I hate to be a downer, but I doubt there will ever be a cure for T1 diabetes (or any diabetes)...maybe I'm too much of a cynic here, but insulin companies like Eli Lily and Novolin (esp Lily) have too much at stake (profits) if a cure is found.

There have been some promising advancements in such forms as islet cell transplants, but I highly doubt it will go anywhere far enough to be considered a "cure."

Next week I'm going to a presentation regarding islet cell transplant given on behalf of the juvenile diabetes research foundation at the local children's hospital, so maybe they can shed some light onto the topic for me. I'll let you know what they say!

Unfortunately, I don't think a cure will be found in my lifetime. One can hope, but I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll be diabetic for the rest of my life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

I'm not as cynical as you, Catheryn, insofar as I don't think the insulin manufacturers are standing in the way of a cure. But I agree with you that a cure is still a long way off.

The problem is, Brendon, that T1 is an autoimmune disease. Even if they found a way to replace the islet cells in the pancreas, there's no guarantee that your body wouldn't destroy them again. And I believe islet cell transplantation has been done, but it wasn't successful enough to continue. Now, with stem-cell research, eventually that may change. I think one of the problems with current islet cell transplantation was that immuno-suppression drugs had to be taken, and they present all kinds of problems themselves.

The media is always coming out with some hype about a "cure"...but most of the time when they jump on stuff, it's at the very beginnings of the research stages and, in the long run, these things haven't panned out when applied to actual human beings.

But there is reason to be, if not optimistic about diabetes, as least not as frightened by it as in days of yore (I can't believe I used that phrase <giggle>). Modern insulins can be much bettered tailored to suit individual needs, insulin pumps are also an incredibly helpful tool, and there are now even continual blood glucose monitors for people who have unstable blood sugars. The important thing is to control your numbers as tightly as possible, as that's been proven to minimize complications dramatically.

Ruth

Old 04-06-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
(male)

brendon557 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by catheryn View Post
I hate to be a downer, but I doubt there will ever be a cure for T1 diabetes (or any diabetes)...maybe I'm too much of a cynic here, but insulin companies like Eli Lily and Novolin (esp Lily) have too much at stake (profits) if a cure is found.

There have been some promising advancements in such forms as islet cell transplants, but I highly doubt it will go anywhere far enough to be considered a "cure."

Next week I'm going to a presentation regarding islet cell transplant given on behalf of the juvenile diabetes research foundation at the local children's hospital, so maybe they can shed some light onto the topic for me. I'll let you know what they say!

Unfortunately, I don't think a cure will be found in my lifetime. One can hope, but I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll be diabetic for the rest of my life.
well, im talking about getting a cure for people who alredy have type 1, i doubt they will ever have a cure to avoid but once u get it, it there will be a cure i hope, and thats wat ive heard, but, ive discovered u can ask 100 differnt people and get 100 differnt answeres lol

Old 04-06-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Brendon,
How true about asking 100 different people and getting 100 different answers! Wish it were simple but it is, unfortunately, a very complex problem.

How are you doing since your diagnosis? Are you experiencing any problems with adjustment? It's a hugely life-changing diagnosis, but it really doesn't have to be all that grim. Takes quite a bit of getting used to it at first, though. Please feel free to post not only specific questions about management, but also your emotional thoughts/feelings around this. Having a support system can make a huge difference in how we adapt to major life crises, and diabetes certainly counts as a major life crisis...but a manageable one, thank goodness.

Ruth

Old 04-07-2009, 05:50 AM   #6
(female)

40FabFit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by catheryn View Post

I so hope that is not true. That makes me even more sad for my DD11. If that is the case, what can I do for her to get her closer to that cure that these companies don't want us to know about. I so would love for her to have a normal life. Deanna.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #7
(male)

brendon557 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamQKitty View Post
Brendon,
How true about asking 100 different people and getting 100 different answers! Wish it were simple but it is, unfortunately, a very complex problem.

How are you doing since your diagnosis? Are you experiencing any problems with adjustment? It's a hugely life-changing diagnosis, but it really doesn't have to be all that grim. Takes quite a bit of getting used to it at first, though. Please feel free to post not only specific questions about management, but also your emotional thoughts/feelings around this. Having a support system can make a huge difference in how we adapt to major life crises, and diabetes certainly counts as a major life crisis...but a manageable one, thank goodness.

Ruth
it was differnt at first, it took me like a month to get used to it, but rite now im on my honeymoon period, so everyting is good right now, hopefully this lasts a very long time

Old 04-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, now I am sorry to be the one who's going to be a "downer", but honeymoon periods rarely last all that long. Sometimes up to a year, but usually less.

However, during the time you're in the honeymoon period, you can read and learn about diabetes so that you'll be well prepared when things start changing.

Whatever you do, Brendon, try not to get discouraged. Sometimes it can be a challenge to get everything balanced, and it can take quite a while, but it'll happen eventually. There's a lot of trial and error with insulin doses. Sometimes it can seem overwhelming but then, when you get it right, it becomes routine rather quickly.

You didn't mention how old you are, but during the teens and very early twenties, it can be more of a challenge due to changing hormones. So you might get an insulin regimen that works for several months and then all of a sudden it stops working and you have to adjust again. Well, actually, that can happen to us adults too, but it's not usually as dramatic an adjustment as for teenagers. One of the best bits of advice I ever received was to not make more than one change at a time, and only change by 1-2 units at a time (unless your doctor says otherwise.) Always give the change at least a week to see if it's working before making another change.

And eventually you may want to look into an insulin pump. I wouldn't do it just yet...you really need to know how much insulin you'll be using daily before you decide on which pump is right for you, and you can't do that just yet. But once you've stabilized, the pump can make life dramatically easier and allow you to eat more normally than when you're just on shots.

Keep questioning, keep posting, and hang in there!

Ruth

Old 04-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User

I know my insulin regime has changed A LOT since my teens, Ruth. I went from 15 units of NPH twice a day to the current 25...it's gone down to 23 since I've been on metformin, but it was like almost all at once I had to up my insulin intake quite a bit (my carb ratio went from 1/10 to 1/7 then 1/5 almost overnight)!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

So many things can cause us to need a change. Many diabetics I know have to change the amount of insulin they use slightly when the seasons change...at least, winter versus summer. It's usually not a big change, but it's a change nonetheless.

Catherine, I don't remember...are you a T1 with insulin resistance or a T2 who's progressed to needing insulin?

Ruth

Old 04-08-2009, 09:40 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User

I'm T1 (since I was a kid) but I have poly cystic ovary syndrome so I've been put on metformin to deal with that. As a side effect I've been able to reduce my insulin intake. I do have some insulin resistance, but it's not really all that bad.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

"Not all that bad"...Catheryn, you are a real trouper! T1 AND insulin resistance AND PCOS is a real bummer! But good news that metformin has helped.

Ruth

Old 04-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User

Thanks, Ruth! The metformin has helped soo much! I mentioned metformin to the nurse at the diabetes clinic last summer and she pretty much laughed at me and said they don't give metformin to T1 diabetics, so I dropped it, but when my hormone levels were tested this past Feb. and my testosterone levels were high a lot of things made sense, so I did some research and found that metformin helps that so I suggested it to my doctor and she said it was a smart idea. I've felt better, honestly, than I ever have, and I've actually lost a few extra pounds I've been carrying around (and I've been able to reduce my NPH by 4 units so far).

Old 04-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Excellent! It's a shame we have to be our own doctors sometimes, but thank God for the internet...it's so much easier to do the research now.

And I've learned to ignore those in the medical profession who think they know it all...because they usually don't! Of course I discuss things with my doctor...but that IS the point...that I CAN discuss things with him.

Ruth

Old 04-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User

Well, I had to go and get a second opinion from one of the doctors at the university I go to. I almost felt like I was cheating on my family doctor! But, the university doctor put me on metformin and suggested a BC pill that blocks testosterone. Anyway when I had a follow up with my family doctor I told her what was going on and she even admitted when I came in that I looked wonderful so it was easier than I thought to bring the subject up to her.

And thankfully, I have an undergrad degree in research so I have the tools to do that...but not everyone can. I know a few family members who are getting the run around because they don't advocate for themselves. Sometimes I wish I could just go with them to their visits because they just don't know the right questions to ask. *sigh* it's such a shame.

Closed Thread