It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 06:33 AM   #1
(female)

donna70 HB Userdonna70 HB User
Off of Metformin some ?s

Hi,
Just had some good news, I am off of metformin and trying to keep my sugars down on diet and exercise. I had really good numbers, a 5.1 A1C and except for my Xmas trouble, doing good. Can't figure out how my A1C got so low, because I had high for me bs after Xmas for awhile. I am supposed to be testing my blood sugars during the next three weeks to determine if I can keep the bs levels down. I am testing 2 hrs after a meal and am bs but could anyone tell me how often and what times would give me the best picture. I had a 147 the first day for post prandial but think I screwed up and ate something during the 2 hrs after my lunch. Know I am so lucky to be in this situation, only on metformin since Sept but would appreciate any input and advice, guess I am worried I will fall off the wagon. Seems like in my crowd, I am the only one who took a diabetes dx seriously, everyone seems to just eat normal and lots of sweets etc. thanks in advance,
Donna70

Old 03-20-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Re: Off of Metformin some ?s

Donna,

Just my 2 cents........Nice to meet you.....sorry we have to meet here

I have really good blood sugars and my AIC is in the 5 range. But my 2 hour Insulin test is 5 times what it should be so that means I have insulin resistance that will lead into diabetes. I watch my diet strictly and exercise daily. My brother has been on insulin since age 48 and my grandmother had diabetes......it skipped both my parents.

My Endocrinologist feels I should stay on Janumet ( metformin ) to prevent getting type 2......so I take it twice a day. I feel great on it. I have taken it now almost a year. The regular Metformin upset my stomach. Janumet works well for me.

You might want to ask them to check your Insulin level and not just a fasting but a 2 hour PP Insulin....... Just to be safe. I am taking Janumet as a preventive measure.

At first I was really resistance but now I am all for it to prevent the diabetes. I have also lost weight on it. I feel much better and my energy is higher.

My Endo is European and I feel is very up to date and advanced. I actually saw him for a thyroid cancer consult and he picked up my IR at that time. So far I have been pretty impressed with him.

Just some things for you to think about.

Hope that helps you.......O

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
(female)

Thanks for your response. My GGT was 225 more or less, can't find the number which is in diabetic range. So that was how it was determined I am diabetic type 2. My main reason for wanting off of the metformin which I tolerated well and lost weight is that I am already on 9 other prescription meds and want to cut back on them as much as possible. Getting ready for Medicare and paying for supplemental for that so trying to cut back as much as possible. You are doing good and don't blame you for trying so hard to stay on track. That is my big wonder why more diabetics are not trying harder with weight etc. I see people all the time tell me how they are diabetic but you wouldn't believe it from what they eat. My motivation is my mom, brother and aunt all in nursing homes at the end with multiple problems and diabetes being one of the starting factors. take care and good luck!!
Donna70

Old 03-20-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User

Oh I hear you on the weight loss thing, Donna. My parents are both T2 diabetics so I've thought a lot about this. I think the problem is by the time most T2s are diagnosed there's been a lifetime of bad eating habits built up, and while it's not an excuse for not getting your act together, it can explain why some just DON'T. It's a lot harder to change life long habits at 50 than it is at 12, you know? As well, it's hard to lose weight when you're a diabetic sometimes because depending on your blood sugar levels, your appetite can be ravenous. When my sugars are low, for example, I'm HUNGRY to the point where I will inhale whatever I can get my hands on. Usually I don't have much of an appetite at all and have to eat more out of necessity than because I'm hungry. I think the same is true when your sugars are high. Your body isn't getting any nourishment so you get very hungry and can't stop eating. When diabetics eat poorly, their sugars go up and they're just hungry hungry hungry, and it's hard to not eat if you're hungry. As well, when you start to get your sugars under control you can feel "low" at perfectly acceptable levels because your body is used to being hyperglycemic, and when you go low, you get hungry. So that leads to more eating, higher sugars and more weight gain/no weight loss. It's an awfully vicious cycle, isn't it? A great majority of T2 diabetics are overweight or obese when they're diagnosed, and it's just really hard to win the battle of the bulge when you're not diabetic, but when you ARE it's even harder. I've seen it with both of my parents. My mom's doing a lot better than my dad, but she just started going through menopause so she's having a VERY hard time with the weight loss because she's SO hungry all the time because her hormones are out of whack.

Anyway, your comment on weight loss and bad eating habits of diabetics really made me think of this. It's very frustrating to watch people not take care of themselves, especially when they are probably going to be the first ones to ask "why me?" when they lose a limb or have a heart attack or lose their sight. But sometimes people just don't have the willpower it takes. *sigh*

Old 03-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
(female)

Hi Catheryn,
You made some really valid points about the cycle of obesity, blood sugar levels all contributing to bad eating habits. I was the least likely one to get diabetes out of my sibs but once the dr explained it wasn't a mistake, I went right on the plan. My problem is how to keep up the initial burst of committment and that in my case is thinking of my relatives history. They were all heavy drinkers so they got their diabetes in their late 40s and early 50s. I am almost 65 so I think my good eating habits have helped me get diabetes later than my family. Thanks for your input, it makes sense what you say, and I was wondering why I have these bursts of hunger. I try to eat a teaspoon of peanut butter instead of a sweet or cheese, just some protein and someone suggested here sugar free jello and I keep plenty of that handy too. take care,
Donna70

Old 03-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User

I find sugar free jello is a great snack that's low in cals and is sweet at the same time. I remember when I was diagnosed splenda wasn't really mainstream yet and some of the sweeteners were AWFUL. I got used to them of course, but once I found splenda my life was complete :P I honestly don't miss refined sugar and find that when I do have some it feels heavy and I feel gross after eating it.

One thing I would suggest is to check your sugars when you DO have a burst of hunger and eat based on the result. What frustrates me to no end is when my dad will test his sugar and it'll be in the 20s (he's constantly in the 20s and has been for the past 10 years at least. I'm seriously surprised he's still alive) and he'll say he's hungry and then have two apples. A piece of cheese or something with more protein is what he should be having!

When my sugars are low I find I crave carbohydrate like you wouldn't believe. I'm trying to stick to a controlled cal diet (1500 cals/day) and usually I'll eat less than that, but when my sugars are low all I want to do is eat something very sugary. What I'll do in this case is have a bowl (or two if I have to) of cheerios. They have enough carbs in them to bring my sugars up but they don't pack a lot of calories per bowl. I like to put a little bit of vanilla flavoured almond milk in with it (sweetened or unsweetened, doesn't matter) to ad a bit of zing.

One thing I think is the key to sticking with it is to get through the initial 2-3 months. It gets MUCH easier after that. I had a period of time last year when I just didn't care and ate whatever, whenever. I lost weight because I was essentially starving myself because my sugars were so high. I was also ALWAYS thirsty. Always. When I decided that I was being ridiculous, and got my act together it was TOUGH for the first month or so, but after that it got easier and easier because I got over the initial "I feel disgusting" period when your sugars being lower can cause you to feel hypoglycemic when you're not (I had a headache all the time!). However, i find that I also had a determination I had never really had before. So i think it's a bit of really sticking through it and having the will to do it. Unfortunately, for people like my dad, his determination just isn't there.

I'm sorry i wrote a book here, but you've brought up some very interesting points I've thought of quite a bit myself!

Closed Thread