It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Serum Glucose 100 on recent blood test

I've had a general physical and blood work for the past 3 years and have never been in the high range for "serum glucose". The "safe range" is 65 - 99. So my number was 100. Wouldn't you know it? It was just high enough to make me worry.

For the past three years I've been on a plant based diet (no meat or dairy). So I thought I would be protected by eating lots of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, nuts and seeds. What happened?

The only thing I can figure is that I might have been overdoing it a little with fruit. I would sometimes consume 3 to 4 servings of fruit with my oatmeal breakfast (not to mention about 2 oz. of pomegranate juice). Is that too much? Perhaps one serving would be enough. For lunch I might have 2 to 3 servings of fruit and about 2 servings for dinner.

I'm very careful about limiting whole grains, so I don't think that's a problem.
I stick to one serving per meal.

Other than what I've mentioned above, I eat mostly legumes, vegetables and good fats.

As far as weight, I'm on the low end of the BMI "normal" range and get moderate exercise.

The only other item that was off on my blood-work was my vitamin D. I was quite low at 8. Normal range: 32 to 100 Could being low in vitamin D affect my serum glucose?

My doctor recommended vitamen D supplements but there was no comment about my blood glucose. I guess that means he doesn't consider it to be a problem?

Last edited by JohnR41; 03-21-2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: punctuation

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
(male)

vipergg HB User
Re: Serum Glucose 100 on recent blood test

Thats not high . don't worry about it . Just keep an eye on it . Your just 1 point into the prediabetic territory which is not anything to worry about other than to just keep a casual eye on it . It always made me wonder how they can give a specific number like that to everyone also , 126 and above is supposedly diabetic . I had this conversation with a DR. once and said 10 years ago he would not have even blinked an eye . So these pharm companies come out with ever lower levels that puts more and more normal people into that territory and that means they can sell more drugs .Do a lot of people not take care of themselves, certainly and that is a lot of the problem . Am I skeptical on whole pharm industry , you bet !!!!!!!!!

Old 03-21-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User

You can count me in on the whole skepticism of the pharmaceutical industry, vipergg. Can you imagine how much eli lily makes a year selling insulin alone? I'd venture to say a cure for diabetes would put them out of business. It's insane! kind of like how glucose monitor manufacturers will give you a free monitor because they know you'll pay 75 bucks a month for test strips (because you have to!)

Sickening, really, when you think about it.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

I don't think it's been the pharmaceutical industry that's promoted diagnosing diabetes and pre-diabetes early. I think it's been all the doctors and researchers who've seen what delayed diagnosis has done to people...neuropathy, retinopathy, kidney disease, etc.

But I do agree with Vipergg, John, that one single point on one random blood test isn't much to worry about. I do think, though, that you may be eating a bit too much fruit. I would definitely cut it back by about one serving at each meal.

Ruth

Old 03-21-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

You may want to up the exercise, since that increases insulin sensitivity.

Also, make sure that you have a healthy body composition (lean versus fat tissue). Persons with low BMI but little muscle may still have an unhealthily high body fat percentage, which can cause insulin resistance.

Some studies indicate that low vitamin D is associated with increased risk of insulin resistance and diabetes (as well as other things like osteoporosis). Since good dietary sources of vitamin D are mostly in animal foods, someone eating a vegan or near-vegan diet without vitamin D supplements or fortified foods would want to get adequate sun exposure to stimulate vitamin D production in the skin. I.e. try doing some of your exercise outside in the sun (but don't get sunburned).

The bad news is that you may be genetically prone to high blood sugar levels and tendency to diabetes.

Several years ago, 110 was considered the threshold for prediabetes, but that was recently lowered to 100.

Last edited by tjlhb; 03-21-2009 at 10:09 PM.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Vipergg,

Thanks. I'll try not to worry but at the same time I'm going to take some action to get my glucose number down to where it was last year and the year before. It was around 85.

Like you, I've noticed that the acceptable numbers (on various items) keep getting changed. Hmmm! I'm skeptical too.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Ruth,

Thanks for your reply. I called the doctors office and asked the nurse about my number. She said the doctor doesn't worry when the number is a few points over. And I suppose he takes into account the fact that my numbers were good for the past two years. I told her how I had a big meal late in the day before the test (finished at about 8:30pm) and she said that could have made a difference, even though I fasted for about 12 hours.

Anyway, I am eating less fruit now and basically sticking to one serving.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb,

Thanks. I have started exercising more. I did some reading over the weekend and found some good information about exercise. I guess I need to build more muscle so I'm working at it now.

Also, I'm taking 1,000 units of D-3 with each meal and I hope that will help with my glucose number. We'll see what happens when I get retested in about 3 months.

My grandmother had diabetes so I guess I just have to work harder to avoid it.

Closed Thread