It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2009, 06:15 AM   #1
(female)

Irish Eyes 2 HB User
Unhappy From "Picture Perfect" A1c to spikes

Hi: I have been a diabetic for about 3 1/2 years. I am on Januvia. My numbers in the am are always under 100. My last A1c was 'picture perfect' according to my doctor.In the last month, my numbers are suddenly all over the place. The last month has included some stress: two week trip in our new Motorhome to Fla. (it was fun but out of my comfort zone) and some health issues that sent me reeling but are fine now.

I eat bran for breakfast; homemade soup and protein for lunch; usually vegetables for dinner; sometimes protein and vegetables; almonds if I need a snack. Sometimes if I wake up hungry, I have rye toast. But, nothing in my diet has changed enough to be getting readings of 125.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Irish Eyes 2; 03-29-2009 at 06:16 AM.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User
Re: From "Picture Perfect" A1c to spikes

Diabetes is, unfortunately, a progressive disease which gets worse in many people with the passage of time. Mine did. Over 22 years, I have gone from a light dose of glucotrol, to control through diet and exercise alone, to metformin, to metformin and glipizide, to metformin, amaryl, and avandia, and to insulin. I do well to keep a 115 average. In fact, over the past couple of months, I see my baseline creeping up again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2009, 05:28 AM   #3
(female)

Irish Eyes 2 HB User

HI: Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I have an appointment for the doc. this week; hope something minor can be changed. I am vigilant about my diet. Nothing more I can change there. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Irish

Old 03-30-2009, 05:39 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

itotito HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes 2 View Post
health issues that sent me reeling but are fine now
sometimes, infections and other medical issues can put stress on the body and it takes a while for things to come back to normal. Stress from personal issues can also wreck havoc.

once i had a urinary infection without even knowing it. it lasted a few weeks and i found it by fluke, but it did raise my numbers. Got rid of the infection and they came back to 'normal'.

but tkfeel is right, it can also be the progressive thing. If you've been constant for 3.5 years and it spiked all of a sudden that is kind of strange.

I noticed I have often go 3 months really good, a few weeks bad, 2 months good, 2 weeks bad...kind of in a strange cycle.

Last edited by itotito; 03-30-2009 at 05:40 AM.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

I'd hardly call 125 a "spike"...even non-diabetics' blood sugars can go up to 140 two hours after a meal.

But the other thing that may be happening is this. I believe Januvia is one of the medications that forces your pancreas to put out more insulin. That can be hard on the pancreas, and can slowly erode some of the cells. This isn't a major problem yet if your bg is only going up to 125, but you may want to look into other medications for T2, such as metformin, which cause your cells to be more receptive to insulin.

Ruth

Closed Thread