It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
(female)

upthecreek HB User
can diabetes cause headache

I had the flu a little over a month ago, I have had a severe headache every since. I am a diabetic with uncontrolled blood sugars. I am on 20 units of novalog and 35 units of lantus at night. my a1c level was 9. dr. thinks I am insulin intolerant. I stay tired all of the time . have a history of kidney stones. suppose to have high blood pressure but it stays 120/60 without meds, and I have high cholesterol 242 . I just can't seem to knock this headache no matter what I take. and sugar level will NOT go down. I need some serious help here.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User
Re: can diabetes cause headache

When do you take your novolog? Because it sounds like you need more. What are you eating on a regular basis? Do you take 20 units each meal or 20 for the entire day?

And yes, hyperglycemia can and does cause headaches. I have wicked migraines when my sugars are high.

I'm guessing you need to be taking either more lantus or more novolog. If your doc suggested insulin resistance I'm assuming you're T2? If you're T2 you could have serious insulin resistance and require a lot more rapid insulin. My father takes 15-20 units at least with every meal -- so that's a lot more rapid!

What sort of carb ratio are you on? I was told that a straight carb ratio for a T1 is general 1 unit to every 5 carbs, generally. Some are 1 unit to every 10 carbs, but even with the 1/5 ratio that's still pushing 20 units or more/day of the novolog. I know I take about 6-10-6 depending on what I eat, and I'm T1 so that's more than 20units a day! If you can give us some more info (types of foods you eat regularly) perhaps we can help you better

Last edited by catheryn; 04-15-2009 at 07:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2009, 02:26 AM   #3
(female)

upthecreek HB User

I take the novalog 3 times a day. the lantus at night before bed. Last night it was 339 I believe before I took my lantus. I have not checked it yet this morning. I have been up about an hour now. I have no Ideal about the carbs ratio. I take 20 units at breakfast ex. what I eat. 2 scrambled eggs and a peice of toast. that is breakfast almost every day. lunch is a bowl of soup no crackers or breads. supper chicken breast (or what ever meat I fix) green beans and maybe a baked potatoe or about 1/2 cup mashed potatoes. the chicken is most of the time baked. I drink water like crazy and every now an then a diet pop. mainly I like tea. I have started putting cinnamon on my toast in the morning. now this is not an every day menu. majority of the time I eat only once a day and that is at about 2:30 in the afternoon when we eat supper when hubby gets home from work. and no I do not snack alot either. I just cant get my levels down and I crave tomatoes and cucumbers I can taste them although I have not ate them. and I want V8 juice all the time. oh and my mouth tast like metal and I have the worst breath no matter how much mouth was and tooth brushing I do

Last edited by upthecreek; 04-16-2009 at 02:27 AM. Reason: forgot something.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User

You're thirsty all the time because your levels are so high.

What I'm thinking is you're either not taking enough insulin, and/or your insulin resistance is through the roof. I think the best thing to do is talk to your doctor about an insulin sensitizer like metformin. A LOT of T2 diabetics who are on insulin are put on metformin to help with the resistance problem.

As well, I think it would be wise to learn about carb counting. Generally, when one takes rapid insulin the amount they take depends on what they eat carb wise -- for me, I take one unit for every 5 grams of carbohydrate. I have slight insulin resistance myself from having PCOS, so the metformin I was put on has helped get me to 1 unit to every 6 on some foods I'm eating. It's really a learning process, and different foods will affect people differently. For instance, I can't eat graham crackers because they spike my sugar, yet my T1 diabetic great grandmother could snack on them daily...perhaps the toast in the morning is something that's spiking your sugars too much? So, I'd definitely get in to see a diabetic nutritionist who can work with you regarding an acceptable carb ratio for your novolog, and I would strongly advise you to talk to your doctor about starting metformin or another insulin sensitizer, because you sound awfully insulin resistant. Something isn't working with your regime, and it certainly isn't anything you're doing from what I can see -- you don't sit around eating crap all day, you DO eat decently.

However, one thing I must say is, you are definitely not eating enough and not eating consistently. If you're only eating once a day that could actually be contributing to your high sugars: when you don't eat your liver will dump its stores of glycogen into your system which will up your sugars. I was told this by an endocrinologist I used to see when I had a fasting blood sugar of 8. I had fasted for 20 or so hours, instead of the standard 8 and he said that it was probably up because I hadn't eaten anything when I asked why it hadn't been lower if I hadn't eaten in so long.

i think you just need to find the right foods to eat in the right amount at the right time with the right amount of insulin -- that's what I work with with my nutritionist.

I hope this has helped. Good luck and please don't get discouraged! Your sugars will come down, it's just going to take a little work to get to the bottom of it all!

Old 04-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
(female)

upthecreek HB User

I have been dealing with thins since march of 2003. my dr. didnt find out I was diabetic my gynocologist did. I was having trouble and he is the one that found it and said more than likely I had had diabetes for around 10 years.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
(female)

anprdp HB User

Cathyryn had some excellent points I thought I would just add a few myself although I have just started insulin and am having a time just trying to adjust that without stacking and such:

First you say you don't eat usually but once a day. BIG BIG no no. In some people (and all of us diabetics are different) this can tell your body hey she is starving us put out sugar quick! Thus speeding up those high readings. I know this because I am the world's worst at it. I am overweight and you would think I should be a size 6 with what I ate while on pills only, but alas didn't drop a pound just raised my blood sugars through the roof. So try to eat 3 times a day or even better yet smaller things 6 times a day. And try to eat at the same time each day. Like I always have breakfast between 8 and 8 30 am. And I also noticed that I need more insulin at these times because I am more sensitive to the carbs during this period than anytime throughout the day.
Catheryn is so very right in saying that you might not be able to eat certain things that others can go to town on. Before the rapid insulin I would not get a sugar spike from 2 reese's peanut butter eggs (19g carbs plus a little sugar) but I would shoot through the roof with less sugar oatmeal that had fiber galore in it. It is a learning process and I feel like a newbie all over again everytime things change. But there are great people here to help guide you. Right now I am at 1 to 15 carbs ratio for rapid and 38 units of lantus at night. I think one might have to change soon, but its a work in progress and read and read to always know what you doctor should be telling you as well.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:35 AM   #7
(female)

upthecreek HB User

thanks. I am working on it dr. upped my lantus to 35 units at bedtime still 2-3 hours after getting up levels are still almost 400 right now i have been awake for over an 1 1/2 hours my level is 319 I just checked it. in 2 more hours it will be higher and if I eat and take the novalog it does not go down at all. If I don't eat and take the novalog it still does not go down. this is so frustraiting. I am trying so hard. yesterday I ate breakfast 1 scrambled egg in the microwave as to not add any fats, and 1 peice of wheat toast with cinnamon no sugar no butter dry toast with cinnamon on it. my levels shot through the roof. 389. then I went and mowed the yard came in at 2:30 pm took shot fixed supper ate a couple bites of meatloaf, and a few green beans waited till 9:30 to check again level 412 nothing to drink but water and plenty of it. took my bedtimeshot and went to bed 35 units of lantus. and i stated my level this morning earlier. I am so aggrivated. and so tired all of the time and my right kidney hurts so bad.(kidney stone again I guess) which I know that will keep it elevated but this is constantly like this

Old 04-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User

How are you feeling, physically? How old is your monitor? Have you had your A1cs tested lately? How do you store your insulin?

The reason I ask is because your monitor could be defective, and your insulin could be ineffective for some reason. If your A1cs are consistent with your readings then there's definitely some problem....but, you're probably not taking enough insulin, because insulin WILL put your sugars down. Your insulin resistance is probably through the roof.

As well, i doubt the lantus dosage is large enough for your needs, honestly. I have little to no insulin resistance anymore and my lantus dosage to START would be 35 units. I'm guessing your lantus and novolog need to go WAY up, and I would definitely say you need an insulin sensitizer. It just doesn't make sense that your sugars wouldn't be going down after taking insulin.

Keep us updated on this -- this is certainly a very frustrating case for you, I'm sure. I hope you get things worked out soon!

Old 04-17-2009, 06:05 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User

I agree you probably need more lantus if you are taking 20 units of novolog per meal. Check your after blood sugar 2 hrs after dinner 3 days in a row. You should see how the novolog and food work together. If you are under 140 you are good. Then check your blood sugar before bed 3 days in a row and compare it to the next morning. The perfect dose of lantus should allow you to have relatively the same blood sugars before bed and in the am. If you go to bed at 130 waking up at 100 is great. If your doc increases your lantus, he will probably do it a few units at a time.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:25 PM   #10
(female)

upthecreek HB User

my levels never go under 250 never have. newinsulin stored in frig. not out of date meter is new with new box of strips. I have checked it on 3 different meters.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:20 AM   #11
(female)

upthecreek HB User

I just checked it a little bit ago and it is 397 now. I took my shot and getting ready to eat a little something very light. maybe some kind of a salad or some kind of greens and tomatoes no carbs at all. I am drinking plenty of water. maybe I have another kidney stone it sure feels like it and that always raises it up. as soon as the stone passes it goes down to the 200's at least

Old 04-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User

I'm going to say that you're definitely not taking enough insulin -- probably the lantus. I mean I have no insulin resistance and I would be put on 36-40 units to start....and it definitely sounds like you have high insulin resistance...I'm sure once you increase your lantus units you'll see a drop in your sugars. Please hang in there -- I know it's frustrating (hey, I woke up with a 10.3 this morning!), but it's just going to take some time to get to the bottom of everything. Also, I don't mean to flog a dead horse, but an insulin sensitizer is probably a necessity in this situation!!!

Old 04-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #13
(female)

upthecreek HB User

I took 30 units of the novalog and got it to 194 I ate a boiled egg and it shot back up. right now and it has been about 40 min since I ate maybe a little less and it is 364 I ate a peice of grilled chicken and a hot dog no bread. I hate to see what it will be 2 hours after I eat here.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

catheryn HB User

Forget upping the novolog -- up your lantus. Keep the novolog at the 20 units and try 40 units of lantus and see what happens. I doubt you're at risk for going hypo, and the more long lasting you take the less rapid you should have to take. I missed my NPH yesterday (morning and evening) and today my sugars have been insane given the rapid I've been taking.

So, my suggestion is try 40 units of lantus and see what happens.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #15
(female)

upthecreek HB User

I will try tonight on the lantus .

Closed Thread