It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
(male)

dmetcalf HB User
how to lower blood sugar overnight

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2009, 07:18 AM   #2
(female)

lalalaaa HB User
Re: how to lower blood sugar overnight

If your type1 diabetic you shouldnt try to lower blood sugar too quickly as the large fluctuations can cause mood changes and cravings making you want to eat and so continuing the "out of control" cycle.

Doing some exercise can help to burn off the extra sugars in the blood. Type 1's with high blood sugars, can also try to reduce their blood sugars by giving themselves one or two extra units of their fast acting insulin on top of their normal dose and not take anything extra outside of this because high doses of insulin can make you hungry. Just do it gradually.

It is important to drink more water when your blood sugars are high.

I've been insulin dependant for 25 years and would be very interested to learn if this is the wrong advice to give so please feel free to correct me.

Last edited by lalalaaa; 04-17-2009 at 07:24 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
(female)

MysticalMerlin HB User

If you're type-2, like myself, as little as a moderate-speed 15-20 minute walk a day can help lower blood sugar. I have no problem keeping mine in the recommended levels without much effort.

Last edited by MysticalMerlin; 04-17-2009 at 05:43 PM. Reason: added a phrase to clarify

Old 04-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmetcalf View Post
If you have Type 2 diabetes, sometimes a healthy snack before bed tricks the liver into NOT making as much sugar. A few slices of apples and a few cubes of cheese could help. The fat in the cheese slows the absorption of the carb.

Closed Thread