It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
(female)

mymaddie HB User
Husband issues... help please!!!

Hi! My husband is diabetic... has been for at least 2 years, and has just started insulin. The day he picked up his insulin, he also picked up oreos and coke at the grocery store. He is also on metformin, and another oral med, I can't think of the name of it. He has no intention of altering his diet.... do you guys have any suggestions at all? I am about to pull my hair out. I am not allowed to say a word, or I get yelled at, at the very least. I am so worried about him. thanks in advance......

Old 05-26-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
(female)

Anna1959 HB User
Re: Husband issues... help please!!!

Hi Maddie,
I would be worried too. My husband has had diabetes for about two years now also. It is well maintained with oral meds and a good diet, but here is the kicker. And you can tell your hubby this even if he yells. Diabetics not only have to watch their diet carefully, but they must take very good care of their skin. Especially their feet! My hubby got an ulcer and didnt even feel it on the bottom of his foot last year, it took almost a year to heal, it was the size of a half dollar and deep! He could have lost his foot. If your husband wants to keep eating junk food and then pop himself with insulin thinking that will fix everything, he is wrong! To be honest, my husband would get ticked at me when I would question his eating at first, but after enduring the mess with his foot, he keeps his mouth quiet now. It came to a point where I didnt care if he got mad, I told him if something goes wrong, he was not the only one to suffer, I would too as I would have to take care of him and tend his wounds. It gets very old very fast when you have to wheel them around and do all the long driving to doctors and hospitals. Just flat out tell him to chuck the junk! Some folks think that I was a bit harsh on him, but in the long run it pays off. I didnt want to see him go through all of that again. If I didnt care I would have not said a word. And a year later he still has to see a wound preservation doctor to keep an eye on both feet. He even has to wear special shoes, and had a casting of his feet for shoes made just to the shape of his feet. I dont think your husband wants to go through that. Here is what made my husband open his eyes big time. He is a veteren, so I have to take him to a VA hospital for his care. When we went into the wound clinic he saw alot of folks with one foot, one leg, nasty sores, it scared him out of his wits! Maybe you need to show hubby a few diabetics with a missing limb for him to get the idea? It's tough love, but it works pretty well!

I hope all goes better for you and your husband,
Hang in there and yap at him even if he gets ticked off, maybe he will get the hint. You might try to look up a diabetic support group for him, or the both of you, sometimes just being able to vent to others can really help.

Take care and keep us posted.
Anna1959

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
(female)

mymaddie HB User

Thanks Anna.... I'll keep it in mind. He has such a TEMPER with all capitals.. He actually hurt his foot yesterday in the garage. I bandaged it with antiobiotic ointment.. the thoughts started going through my mind about diabetic feet... I may just bring the subject up tonight. thanks again...

Old 05-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

My husband is diabetic also and I worry about him b/c he yells at me if I suggest he exercises. He refuses to do so. He takes Metformin and Glyburide twice a day. He's eating a little bit healthier than he used to, but not much. I love to exercise and he can't fathom that.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
(female)

warpig HB User

Hello, I am a diabetic. I take Januvia & Amaryl. I can tell you from experience that unless something happens to him he probably will not change. It is very sad to say and I hope nothing happens to him but denial is a strange thing. I feel that is the same reason he is having a "fit" with you when you say something because he hasn't come to terms with having diabetes. It is a life changing experience for the individual but sometimes we forget it is hard on the people that love us also. The only thing you can really do is be there for him when he comes to the realization and support him. It sounds like you already do!! I wish you and your husband the best and a long and happy future!!

Tiffany

Closed Thread